Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Links for Linguaphiles    A blog I hadn't previously come across
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A blog I hadn't previously come across Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
http://caxton1485.wordpress.com/

I've only glanced at it so far but he seems to know his stuff.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I notice that he is an older graduate student in English language and literature at Oxford, I loved the Kinglsey quotation about berks and prissies. Adding it to my blogroll right now.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I've subscribed.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I liked very much the May 5 post, "On a Testing Time" where he reviews a a proposed test on grammar, punctuation & spelling for KS2. Admirably demonstrates how standardized tests on such material will end up promoting prescriptivism (after all, so much easier to grade when the world is viewed in B&W). I'm betting that in the US, Common Core Standards (& their associated assessments) will be dead in the water before they make it to grammar & punctuation. They're only at Math & Reading & already it's a brouhaha.

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You puzzled me for a moment as that's on David Crystal's Blog not the one I linked to. Then I realised that the top post on Caxton links to David Crystal's blog which we have mentioned before. He is one of the top British linguists and his writing is always a joy to read.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Looking further at the Caxton blog, I discovered through This post that the author's last name is English. It's unlikely, I know, but I wonder if he's any relation to our own RE? They've both got beards, but then so do I and a few other members. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
English

His surname is England.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Rats! So it is. Ignore that then. Red Face

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
English His surname is England.

Maybe it's his married name.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5994 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here's another that apparently used to be quite popular that I've only just discovered. There is a tenuous link with the Caxton blog : Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog. It does, though, seem to be almost moribund now.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
It maketh my cerebral cortex writhe in agonye.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5994 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, heck, arnie. I think you should revive it. We all know what a Chaucer fan you are!

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post