Find
Notify
Tools

SPOGG Login/Join

posted

Posts: 2786 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Sadly I fear that the only people who will read this board are those to whom grammar is important. Those who offend with their grammatical solecisms will be noticeable primarily by their absence.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love grammar. But a lot of what SPOGG talks about isn't grammar, it's peevology

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
a lot of what SPOGG talks about isn't grammar

It's funny. The blog's author, Martha Brockenbrough, is an employee of Microsoft. She writes a column for MSN Encarta. I doubt she's ever used the site's search feature to look up the meaning of grammar, but she should've.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5086 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep. I agree, z. While misspelling "grammar school" does seem to be egregious, misspellings aren't grammar errors.

Posts: 23734 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
a lot of what SPOGG talks about isn't grammar

It's funny. The blog's author, Martha Brockenbrough, is an employee of Microsoft.

That's really funny, because Microsoft is against open and correct standards. Recently there has been controversy about the Open Document format, so that MS Word, Open Office, and others could all store data in a generic format. Microsoft invented their own proprietary format and didn't want to accept a global standard.

It's as if the world wanted them to accept standard English grammar, and Microsoft came up with their own more difficult version that only Microsoft Word could run the grammar checker on and they insisted everyone in the government used it.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
That's really funny, because Microsoft is against open and correct standards.

Yes, I saw an article on that recently. Such a shame. Microsoft's wannabe "standard" is called Office Open XML to confuse folks I suppose.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5086 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post