Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Links for Linguaphiles    The Grandiloquent Dictionary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Grandiloquent Dictionary Login/Join

posted
I listen to Word of Mouth which, as its name implies, is a programme all about the spoken word (there's a "Listen Again" link as well, so you can listen to the actual broadcast). Among other subjects, they mentioned The Grandiloquent Dictionary. This lists some really strange words. Enjoy Smile.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Di, though I think we posted this link early on because it is absolutely one of my favorite online dictionaries.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This pretty much sums up my opinion of it.

Tinman

Posts: 2770 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman, I don't think that is altogether fair as it is being billed as a specialty dictionary.

However, I just posted a thread about truthiness (it's too new to be able to link to at this point; it's in Q&A), and that word sometimes applies to the Grandiloquent Dictionary. That is, if you take the words seriously, you must verify them with a reliable source (not something like Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary) because it isn't always accurate, as we've said here before.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Tinman, I don't think that is altogether fair as it is being billed as a specialty dictionary.

Yes, and its specialty is reflected in its title. [/QUOTE]

Tinman

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, and its specialty is reflected in its name.

Tinman

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Alright, you win. However, I still like the dictionary!