Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unscramble.net Login/Join

posted
I've found Unscramble, which is a fascinating site, incorporating an anagram solver, crossword word finder, synonym and antonym finder, rhyme finder and a few others too.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great, Di! I know they are always looking for rhyming sites on OEDILF.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at that site and put in a word to check it out. When I put a word into the dictionary or the crossword finder, I got a definition, along with the hypernym. What's that? Is it a recent coinage? I've never heard it before. Here's how Wikipedia defines it:
quote:
A hypernym (in Greek υπερνύμιον, literally meaning 'extra name') is a word whose extension includes the extension of the word of which it is a hypernym.

Huh? The examples which followed made it a little more understandable, as did WordNet. The WordNet definition was followed by a bunch of other words, such as "holonym, whole name -- (a word that names the whole of which a given word is a part; ```hat' is a holonym for `brim' and `crown''')." It took me a little while to figure that out. Other nyms included meronym, metonym, and troponym. My mind is numb with nyms!

Tinman

Posts: 2772 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post