Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Links for Linguaphiles    Evolving English quiiz
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evolving English quiiz Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Test your knowledge of the origins, evolution and oddities of the English language. Courtesy of the British Library

Hat-tip: Visual Thesaurus

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's a little out of my league, I fear. Too many Britishisms. But it certainly is enlightening. Thanks, arnie!

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I failed miserably!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4432 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Strange, I got a couple of 4/6s for the tough one, but a 3/6 for the middlin' one. Guess I'm not a Brit ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is aimed four-square at the British reader.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Clearly it is a triangular aim toward me.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
More of a two-sided polygon for me ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was recently at a conference where we had an exercise with pieces of paper cut in shapes. One of my table mates insisted that only the ones like squares, rectangles, and circles were "geometric." The others, she said, were just shapes. I sure thought any shape was geometric, but then I wonder if she is right. Here is what the online dictionary definition is: "resembling or employing the simple rectilinear or curvilinear lines or figures used in geometry."

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
only the ones like squares, rectangles, and circles were "geometric."

And triangles, and pentagons, and plenty of other polygons. By adding triangles to a central polygon you can also form stars, and there are plenty of other shapes that can be formed. I can understand what she meant, though I can't agree with such a restricted definition.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, that makes sense. I am sure she'd include those, too. I probably was being too flexible.