Wordcraft Community Home Page
The dis- game

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1881077124/m/1221032345

June 22, 2012, 18:41
BobHale
The dis- game
And I remember walking past a sale in camping shop last Christmas. It was the winter of their discount tents.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 23, 2012, 05:53
<Proofreader>
An Indian complained to a doctor that he sometimes felt like living in a wigwam and at others like being in a teeppee. The doctor said, "You're too tense."
June 23, 2012, 06:07
Geoff
This is an intentse conversation! I'll tentatively change the subject to breakfast. My wife took mine away from me, and now I'm disporridged.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
June 26, 2012, 19:40
bethree5
Oh let's dessert breakfast. My hubby took my pudding, I'm so discustard!
June 27, 2012, 05:46
<Proofreader>
My wife likes omelets but I can't get eggsited.
June 27, 2012, 08:21
Geoff
quote:
My hubby took my pudding
That's a rye comment about the Victorian era word for "girl parts," isn't it? In other words,, you were getting bread! Smile That is to say, marmalade with daddy and now she's got a bun in the oven.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
June 28, 2012, 11:54
<Proofreader>
quote:
now she's got a bun in the oven.

She's having the Pillsbury dough boy?
June 28, 2012, 22:15
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
[QUOTE] the Victorian era word for "girl parts,"
Gosh I learn something new everyday from this erudite group!
June 29, 2012, 06:16
Geoff
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

She's having the Pillsbury dough boy?

Oh, no! She was wearing a Bib* without the use of an inner tube, so now she's feeling inflated and often tired.

*Bib is the nickname for Bibendum, the Michelin man. He was originally made of bicycle tires. Now aren't you glad to know that? The name comes from the Latin phrase, "nunc est bibendum," (time to drink now) thus tying in to our breakfast theme. Roll Eyes

June 29, 2012, 15:53
<Proofreader>
Guess she won't be having a Goodyear.
June 29, 2012, 18:46
Geoff
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Guess she won't be having a Goodyear.
Why not? I hear her hubby's a big wheel!

June 29, 2012, 19:02
<Proofreader>
He'd better be faithful or he'll find something Dunlop-ped off.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,
July 10, 2012, 10:38
Geoff
Those who oppose the present Czar are disPutin'.

July 16, 2012, 21:59
bethree5
And those who opposed the Argentinian dictator had a nasty habit of dis-a-peron!
July 17, 2012, 08:46
<Proofreader>
When sculpture models are finished for the day, are they deposed?
July 18, 2012, 10:03
Geoff
When someone steals the literature carried by Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, are they distracted? I'm surprised that Cole Porter wasn't one or the other. After all, colporteur means bible peddler. Roll Eyes

July 19, 2012, 05:04
<Proofreader>
When police catch the thieves and bring back the stolen goods, the religious folk will be retracted.
July 19, 2012, 05:56
<Proofreader>
If you don't like a particular religion, wouldn't you find their pamphlets unattractive?
July 20, 2012, 10:06
<Proofreader>
The latest CIA sex scandal came to light when the spies were debriefed.
July 21, 2012, 17:57
Geoff
When the famous prankster Herr Eulenspiegel died, was Germany disTilled?

July 21, 2012, 18:56
<Proofreader>
The US Tennis Association is considering a rule that would prevent players from making loud noises during play, leaving some players disgruntled.

Reports have come in that pigeons have been discovered at altitudes above thirty thusand feet. At that height their wings ice up but the pigeons have proven unflappable.
July 25, 2012, 04:32
bethree5
Does a sensai take away your black belt if you're dis-obi-dient?
July 25, 2012, 05:47
<Proofreader>
An Indian bey had ruled over his caste-ridden province for many years. One day he was greeting ambassadors to India and one diplomat said, "Sahib, I hope I'm not being impertinent but you don't look like an Asian Indian. You look more like a North American Indian."
"Yes, that is very true," he said. "I'm actually a Narragansett bey."
Local humor.
July 27, 2012, 12:12
Geoff
To which his Yiddish friend exclaimed, "Oy, bey!" The Narragansetts have been disbanded!

July 27, 2012, 12:30
<Proofreader>
Terrible story in the local paper: A young lady waiting at the curb to cross the street was hit in the face by the buttock of a young man who thrust them out of a passing car window. She tried to have him arrested for assault but the police wouldn't intervene, saying she was only moonstruck.
August 01, 2012, 07:31
<Proofreader>
They found out who caused a train wreck in Tel Aviv. Disraeli
August 08, 2012, 16:17
Geoff
Did the guy who invented the #2 search engine enter politics in Isreal? Net-in-Yahoo?

August 09, 2012, 16:48
<Proofreader>
Funny how your attitude can change in a short time. I felt upbeat all day but now I'm diseased.
August 09, 2012, 21:42
Greg S
That must have been really uneasy for you to take.

Regards Greg
August 10, 2012, 07:42
<Proofreader>
The funny thing is i threw up yesterday from a upset stomach but while doing so I felt fine. So I guess I was just ill-at-ease.
August 10, 2012, 09:15
Greg S
Given that you were so diseased and ill-at-ease it must have been quite uneasy for you to stand-at-ease and even more uneasy for you to stand at attention.

Regards Greg
August 11, 2012, 10:30
<Proofreader>
The incident at the Sikh Temmple made me wonder, if one lost his head covering, would he be disturbed?

It's a hot day and the weatherman told everyone to "stay hydrated." I don't like that phrase so I'll just get liquified.

August 12, 2012, 07:38
bethree5
I was trying to travel incognito a la Jackie O but a strong wind came up and I was discarvered
August 12, 2012, 15:07
Geoff
DisCarvered was what Tess Gallagher was when Raymond died.

August 17, 2012, 19:54
<Proofreader>
In Forbidden Planet, I liked Anne Francis but not the talking piece of metal that protected her. Sorry, I didn't mean to disrobe.

See how many get that reference.
August 18, 2012, 18:47
Geoff
It was Robby, the first robot in a movie. IIRC, it came out about 1958, and was pretty scary when the thought monster showed up.

August 18, 2012, 19:51
<Proofreader>
Almost right. The first robot in a movie was Johnny Weissmeuller.
August 19, 2012, 05:00
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
DisCarvered was what Tess Gallagher was when Raymond died.

Now there's a lugubrious direction for the dis- game, yet fruitful.
Joyth Carol Oatth wath dith-Smith'ed in 2011.
Priscella was de-Pres'd in 1977
Pat's widow Marie was dis-Till'ed in 2004
Biblical Ruth was dis-Boaz'd of in ancient days
August 19, 2012, 05:56
Geoff
When Vladimir dies, Nadezhda will be disPosnered.

When this guy died, can you imagine what his wife was? Confused http://www.dmairfield.com/people/nutt_cc/index.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

August 20, 2012, 20:48
Kalleh
As I was reading your great posts and pondering this game, I thought of "discovered." "Uncover" males sense to me, but how does "dis"-"covered" translate?
August 23, 2012, 09:02
bethree5
In googling various replies to the question 'difference between un- & dis-', it seems 'un' has been around much longer & means 'not'. 'dis' came via Latin in the Middle English period & is related to 'bis' (two), suggesting a separation, though the distinction has been blurred over time.

Hard to get much from that, right?
August 23, 2012, 10:53
Tom
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
In googling various replies to the question 'difference between un- & dis-', it seems 'un' has been around much longer & means 'not'. 'dis' came via Latin in the Middle English period & is related to 'bis' (two), suggesting a separation, though the distinction has been blurred over time.

Hard to get much from that, right?

So.....could another term for "double-negative" be a "dis-negative"? Wink
August 24, 2012, 08:06
<Proofreader>
quote:
So.....could another term for "double-negative" be a "dis-negative"?

Or di-negative?
August 24, 2012, 08:31
Greg S
The other day I heard some bloke had been disbarred!

I couldn't work out if he had been:

I think they said he might have been a lawyer.

Regards Greg
August 24, 2012, 11:20
<Proofreader>
When they pulled off the animal Davy Crockett was wrestling, he was disbarred.
August 29, 2012, 15:54
Geoff
After the hurricane New Orleans is dis-easy.

August 30, 2012, 07:52
<Proofreader>
If a witch hollers a curse at you, is that a hexclamation?

A thought: How long is a curse? A hexameter.

Another thought: A device for measuring genital length? A Petermeter.

August 30, 2012, 18:50
Greg S
quote:
If a witch hollers a curse at you, is that a hexclamation?

Of course it is, and when she tells you what it all means that's the hexplanation.

Regards Greg
August 30, 2012, 20:05
Tom
Now if the witch gets it all mixed up and backwards, is it dis-hexic?
August 30, 2012, 20:53
Greg S
And when she oversells the dangers that may befall you as a result of her curse, that's hexaggeration.

Regards Greg