Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    WC Gathering 2008
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WC Gathering 2008 Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I just realised that the news box on the Community Home Page was still announcing that the gathering was being planned! I've brought it up to date and referred to this thread.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
When the child in his upstairs bedroom noticed that his father had with him a certain book, he said, "What did you bring that book that you know I don't like to be read to out of up for ?"

Posts: 6710 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is definitely midwestern slang & especially Chicagoan if I'm not mistaken.
Normally, I'd like to think, I admit when I'm wrong or mistaken, and I do often apologize (though one can't be totally objective about oneself, I know). In this case, I am reluctant to give in that it's "wrong" or "slang." I am not sure why, but I'm feeling quite recalcitrant about it. I suspect the phrase derived from an understanding of "kind of a person," though I guess that in itself would make it slang.

I need some famous linguist from the University of London or the OED or Stanford University or someplace to uphold me on this one. Perhaps it will take a bribe? Wink

Posts: 23293 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I loved "your" post, Richard, & was almost convinced that the warm, fuzzy occasion caused you to reconsider all sorts of principles heretofore cast in concrete! (not!) What was your favorite beer of the weekend?

Those who know me also know that I am a great believer in trying new things and forming new opinions. Although I can certainly be dogmatic, I am always prepared to reconsider my position given the facts. Where there are no facts available, then I will often stick to my beliefs - and in this I suggest that I am no different from many others.

I tried many fine beers when I was in British Columbia, Chicago and Canada, some of which I have posted about on the Oxford Bottled Beer Database. So as not to be considered blinkered I tried a number of Canadian Mega-breweries' offerings as well as the offerings of micros. All the mega-breweries' "beers" were horrible - bland, fizzy and dyspepsia-creating.

The best beer I had was probably the Millennium Ale sold in Barley's Brewpub in Columbus. This was a cask-conditioned ale served straight from the cask by gravity (something I don't think I had previously seen in the USA). Sadly, when we returned the next day the cask had gone as they had sold all the beer. This is one of the problems in US pubs it seems. The owners and managers are not yet sufficiently knowledgeable about the peculiar needs of cask-conditioned beer and its supply requirements.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
When the child in his upstairs bedroom noticed that his father had with him a certain book, he said, "What did you bring that book that you know I don't like to be read to out of up for ?"

Eek Big Grin Wink

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
The best beer I had was probably the Millennium Ale sold in Barley's Brewpub in Columbus. This was a cask-conditioned ale served straight from the cask by gravity (something I don't think I had previously seen in the USA)

Sounds yummy. I shall ask around. With the property taxes I'm paying in this chi-chi, boutique-y town, there ought to be something equivalent served hereabouts!

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
We gathered Columbus, Ohio.

It has come to my attention that a well-known company is headquartered there.

I am disappointed that we did not visit it. Grievously disappointed . Frown

I shall go now and research their catalogue.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am disappointed that we did not visit it. Grievously disappointed . Frown

I didn't realise you used their products, Shu!

By the way, do we yet have any bids for hosting Wordcraft 2009?

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post