Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    A Halloween Party Chat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Halloween Party Chat Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Some Wordcrafters probably remember our 2004 Halloween costume party chat. Let's have another this year! It's easy. In the next few weeks secretly create another name...something fun, like George Bush. I was Sir Joseph Swan last time. Then when we chat, you must stay in your costume. Don't let us know who you really are. At the end, we will try to guess who everyone is. It was really fun last time.

Now, just know that I welcome all new registrants to the site. Therefore, if you get a welcoming PM from me when you register, just stay in your persona. Don't let the cat out of the bag!

The Costume Party chat will be October 27, 2007, at 12:00 noon, Central time. Please join us, as the more the merrier! Start deciding who you will be, and don't forget to register as that person.

I am excited!

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The first house in the world to be lit by incandescent lamps, Cragside, was reopened this year having been re-wired. The original electrical installation was in 1870, using arc lamps, which were replaced in 1880 with Sir Joseph Swan's incandescent lamps.

Since there were no power stations in 1870 (they were Edison's contribution) Cragside's electricity was generated by a waterwheel (which also powered other machinery in the house.

You can find out more here http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-fi...ousegardenandestate/

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I invited to the party, Kalleh? I enjoyed the 2004 party, though I know I didn't pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

Mr. English, you've almost captured the truth. There is a bit more to it, though. Send me a PM, and I will explain. I would hate to be the cause of a public row, as I am a private sort.

Sir Joseph Swan

Posts: 4 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mr. English, you've almost captured the truth. There is a bit more to it, though.

There's always more to every story; what I have written is true as far as it goes.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ambrose Bierce
posted Hide Post
If the omens are right I will manifest myself.

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Geez louise... I don't like the look of that newbie at all. Is his mom's name Rosemary?

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Hey, just as an experiment I logged off and went into the chat room. It looks like you don't have to be registered to enter the chat with a fake name.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I invited to the party, Kalleh?

Nope. You had your day, Sir Joseph Swan, and you fooled no one.

Yes, I suppose you don't, TrossL. It's just fun to go all the way with these costumes by creating an avatar and a profile and all. However, maybe I am just a kid at heart!

I am putting my thinking hat on!

Welcome Damien! We'd love to have you at the costume party...or any chat. We chat each Saturday at noon Central time.

Sir Joseph, don't you bother, however!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:
Is his mom's name Rosemary?
The name of the woman who thought she was my mother was Katherine Thorn.

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
I can't remember... did Rosemary's baby have a name?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Legion? For they were many.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
TrossL, I surely didn't remember this, but an Internet site on Rosemary's baby said that she called it Baby Andy or Baby Jenny. I don't know if that's correct, though.

posted Hide Post
I am not related to Rosemary's baby, except in spirit. However, as zmježd suggests, my names are Legion. Currently I am known as Damien.

posted Hide Post
I, for one, welcome our new satanic member and personally can't think of a more appropriate place for the prophesied issue of the Prince of Darkness to hang out than with a bunch of old word-geeks.

Posts: 1245 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As the welcomer of newbies, we've had a bit of an influx recently. I suspect a few are contemplating the costume party chat!

posted Hide Post
NEW MEMBER? Mad

Neveu, I have been a member since May 18, 2004, which is before you joined this community. I have been fairly well known in the world at large since 1976 although my coming was prophesied some 2000 years earlier. (See sig,)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Neveu, I have been a member since May 18, 2004

But not as Damien.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Neveu, I have been a member since May 18, 2004, which is before you joined this community.

Actually, I joined this group back in 1743, but that was on another planet in a parallel universe. So there. Razz

Posts: 1245 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:
Neveu, I have been a member since May 18, 2004

But not as Damien.

Actually he has, as Damien. It's on his public profile.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right. The fact that he hasn't posted for the past 3 years had contributed in small measure to my not realising this. Indeed, his past week's posts already exceed in number the total of his early (2004) posts. Not what one would call a prolific poster, then.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
When you hear things go bump in the night, then you'll know I'm around.

Eagerly awaiting the Costume Party ....

Poltergeist (don't knock it)

posted Hide Post
|_ [] |_

me china _|4[|<4//\\//[]/2j told my self boot this place way kewl n stuff

Im llookkiinngg forhead to the chat sats

posted Hide Post
Whoooooooooooo else is going to join us for the costumed chat?

posted Hide Post
Apparently not me. I disappointed Miss Kalleh in 2004. I think she has invited someone else. That's the problem with those Americans; they aren't all that loyal.

Posts: 4 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could someone direct me to the Men's Room?

Thanking you in advance, I remain,

............. Cool Poltergeist

posted Hide Post
I suppose I will be there. You'd better watch your grammar and punctuation!

Posts: 4 | Location: Cincinnati, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
So I've made myself a little alter ago, but are we supposed to be posting as that person prior to the halloween chat?

posted Hide Post
quote:

You'd better watch your grammar and punctuation!

You'd better watch your behavior around my Grammar, Sir. She's likely to have you investigated on statutory issues, not to mention acute agravating prescritivism.

posted Hide Post
Dewdz! Chill, maximally. Therz plenta Hallowed Evenin tgo round for oil urvuss.

posted Hide Post
This should be fun! Shu and Kalleh (Keiva and Ewein?) have a lot of experience in trying to fool people! Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I've made myself a little alter ago, but are we supposed to be posting as that person prior to the halloween chat?

Not really, TrossL, but there are a few waywards here. Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Next week is our party! Come one! Come all! The time will be our normal time: 1:00 p.m., Central time. Please be sure to register as the person you want to be, and don't include an email address in your profile or people will figure out who you are. I suspect there will be some profile readers!

I can't wait! We had so much fun at our last one. Poor Sir Joseph Swan is hurt that I won't be bringing him, but he understands my competitiveness (too bad he didn't have more!).

See you then!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Since there were no power stations in 1870 (they were Edison's contribution)

Only direct current power stations, which weren't much good beyond a few miles. It took George Westinghouse, using Nicola Tesla's design, to truly electrify the world with long-distance transmission. Therefore I am sure that Dr Frankenstein had in-house power for his experiments.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time is a problem here in the Land Where Things Go Bump In The Night. Can somebody please tell me what time it will be (Local Time, Please) when the party will begin ??? (Please put it language that even a Poltergeist might understand.)

Bumpety bump.

posted Hide Post
YOUR ATTENTION PLEEEEZ

Some of the Things That Go Bump In The Night have escaped from custody and are known to be wandering in Your Neighborhood. If you see any of the following, PLEEEZ call Headquarters and give a detailed report. If you wish to remain anonymous, then please do so. Here is the list of recent escapees :

ghosts, boggles, bloody-bones, spirits, demons, ignis fatui, brownies, bugbears, black dogs, specters, shellycoats, scarecrows, witches, wizards, barguests, Robin-Goodfellows, hags, night-bats, scrags, breaknecks, fantasms, hobgoblins, hobhoulards, boggy-boes, dobbies, hob-thrusts, fetches, kelpies, warlocks, mock-beggars, mum-pokers, Jemmy-burties, urchins, satyrs, pans, fauns, sirens, tritons, centaurs, calcars, nymphs, imps, incubuses, spoorns, men-in-the-oak, hell-wains, fire-drakes, kit-a-can-sticks, Tom-tumblers, melch-dicks, larrs, kitty-witches, hobby-lanthorns, Dick-a-Tuesdays, Elf-fires, Gyl-burnt-tales, knockers, elves, rawheads, Meg-with-the-wads, old-shocks, ouphs, pad-foots, pixies, pictrees, giants, dwarfs, Tom-pokers, tutgots, snapdragons, sprets, spunks, conjurers, thurses, spurns, tantarrabobs, swaithes, tints, tod-lowries, Jack-in-the-Wads, mormos, changelings, redcaps, yeth-hounds, colt-pixies, Tom-thumbs, black-bugs, boggarts, scar-bugs, shag-foals, hodge-pochers, hob-thrushes, bugs, bull-beggars, bygorns, bolls, caddies, bomen, brags, wraiths, waffs, flay-boggarts, fiends, gallytrots, imps, gytrashes, patches, hob-and-lanthorns, gringes, boguests, bonelesses, Peg-powlers, pucks, fays, kidnappers, gallybeggars, hudskins, nickers, madcaps, trolls, robinets, friars' lanthorns, silkies, cauld-lads, death-hearses, goblins, hob-headlesses, bugaboos, kows, or cowes, nickies, nacks [necks], waiths, miffies, buckies, ghouls, sylphs, guests, swarths, freiths, freits, gy-carlins [Gyre-carling], pigmies, chittifaces, nixies, Jinny-burnt-tails, dudmen, hell-hounds, dopple-gangers, boggleboes, bogies, redmen, portunes, grants, hobbits, hobgoblins, brown-men, cowies, dunnies, wirrikows, alholdes, mannikins, follets, korreds, lubberkins, cluricauns, kobolds, leprechauns, kors, mares, korreds, puckles korigans, sylvans, succubuses, blackmen, shadows, banshees, lian-hanshees, clabbernappers, Gabriel-hounds, mawkins, doubles, corpse lights or candles, scrats, mahounds, trows, gnomes, sprites, fates, sibyls, nicknevins, whitewomen, fairies, thrummy-caps, cutties, and nisses, and apparitions of every shape, make, form, fashion, kind and description

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Ah, well, at least the politicians are still locked up.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
when the party will begin ??? (Please put it language that even a Poltergeist might understand.)
The time will be our usual time on Saturday, if you previously have chatted with us. Daylight savings time will still be in effect then, in those places that have it. In the U.S., this will be:
1:00 pm, EDT;
12:00 noon, CDT;
11:00 am, MDT;
10:00 PDT;
7:00 am, HST.

For those in the UK, it will be 6:00 pm, BST (GMT+ 1 hour).

We hope to see you here, Poltergeist.

It would be a great time for any newbies to log in. We really wouldn't recognize you!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
It will be Homecoming that day at the college where I work, so, sigh, I shall be working. Did we do this costume chat thing last year? I guess I hadn't started participating in chats at that point, so I don't remember it. This gives me an entire year to come up with an alter ego....WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
WM,

The last time we held such a chat was in 2004.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10927 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only direct current power stations, which weren't much good beyond a few miles.

That was one of Edison's major (and rare) miscalculations. Direct current cannot be transformed and must be transmitted at its generated voltage. Edison chose 110 volts (rather low) and therefore the currents passed was very high and the power losses considerable. As Asa says, this restricted transmission to just a few miles which meant power stations were needed in every town - several in large towns.

Modern practice is to transmit at very high voltages and transform down as needed. Which is why most people don't even know where their nearest power station is these days - it might be hundreds of miles away.

But we should not denigrate Edison's efforts; he showed the way for the universal electricity provision that we now enjoy. (Though I suspect that Frankenstein had his own generator for his high tensions current.)

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The book by Mary Shelley was written in 1818. She doesn't really say how Dr Frankenstein makes his creature, composed of bones from the charnel houses and tissue from the dissection tables of anatomy classes, a living thing. It is hinted that he uses his knowledge of (then) modern science and alchemy to bring the monster to life. Electricity does figure in many of the movies adapted from the novel, beginning with the Whale-Karloff version of 1931, but that is not generated but captured during a storm by lightning rods. I've always enjoyed the Jacob's ladders in his lab in the film, though.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yes. Electrical knowledge was very much in its infancy back then. There was no satisfactory method of generating decent amounts of electrical current until Faraday invented the dynamo in 1832. Batteries were messy and unreliable and gave little current; electrostatic machines produced high voltages but no continuous current.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
WM, you will definitely be there in spirit, I am sure.

[What a good way to throw people off as to who you are. Wink]

Remember, the prize for the character who is guessed last (or isn't guessed at all) will be a bright red Lamborghini. So get going everyone!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Lamborghini builds tractors, Kalleh. Cars are a sideline. Razz Do we have any farmers here?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Alright then, though I do like those Lamborghinis. How about a Maserati? There's always the Corvette, too. Or perhaps a Porsche? Does Rolls Royce make a sports car, Richard? I kinda had my heart set on a sports car.

I like this international search for the perfect prize, and I am open to recommendations.

Does everyone like red? I think steel blue is nice, too. Red rather fits with a sports car, though.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
I kinda had my heart set on a sports car.

I used to have an old Rambler Ambassador wagon with fully relclining seats that made a good sized bed for two. Now THAT'S my idea of a sports car! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, Asa, you'd better join us this Saturday. I know you don't chat regularly with us, but this will be great fun! And you might win a Rambler Ambassador besides. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Does Rolls Royce make a sports car, Richard?

They used to, when they owned the Bentley brand. That is now owned by VW and Rolls-Royce is owned by BMW.

And don't get me started on the stupidity of our Government in allowing our most prestigious brands to be sold to the Germans. Can you imagine that the Italian Government would allowing it to happen to Ferrari, the Germans to Mercedes or even the US to General Motors - without some kind of fight?

Fortunately the finest traditional sports car in the world, the Morgan, is still owned by the Morgan family and still made in England. http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations/morgan-sports-cars

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Just trying on my costume here (a bit snug, I'd say) and practicing a range of grimaces so as to be unrecognisable.

Farewell....

Ghostwriter

No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except under an assumed name.

Posts: 3 | Location: Bwwaaaaaaaahahahahahaha....Ougadougou!!!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumpety bump ....

This might be a bit early, but I want to go down in history as the First One to nominate GHOSTWRITER for the Most Appropriate Assumed Name award ....

... bump