Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UK TV Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
I just remembered what Simon and I were talking about asking our British friends. We have really enjoyed the first show of the new Sherlock Holmes TV series, but he tells me that there are only 3 episodes in the first season. We are sad about that! Why would they only make 3 shows for a season?

We were previously frustrated by too few episodes of Foyle's War, but this is even worse!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's crazy, CW. It really is just a 3-part series, isn't it?

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I was puzzled by that, especially as the ending to episode three makes it clear that there will be another series and I believe that the actors have been signed up for another series. Hopefully this one will be longer.

Incidentally the DVD release shows Four episodes but don't be fooled. The fourth episode is an alternate, shorter version of episode one.

It really was rather good though. Martin Frenam as Watson was unexpectedly excellent.

Posts: 7864 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You should also keep in mind though that a typical run for a British series is much shorter than the typical run for a US one. Our comedies tend to be six thirty-minute episodes. Our flagship dramas are either six or thirteen. Nothing, other than bought-in series, ever runs for more than thirteen episodes in a season. US dramas and comedies are typically commissioned for 22 episodes, though often with a mid season hiatus.

Posts: 7864 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I'm disappointed that there aren't more yet! Oh well, we'll enjoy what we can get. I don't understand how TV execs make decisions. Now we have networks with seasons that start at odd times of the year and taking breaks when others are just starting. There is no rhyme or reason to it, that I can see, but then I've not really given it much brain power.

I do like Martin Frenam. I hear he's been signed to play Bilbo.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post