Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Disappearing until this )(**!^$#@! computer's fixed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappearing until this )(**!^$#@! computer's fixed Login/Join

posted
Once again I have computer problems. I'm on my ancient XP machine right now, and I can barely read the screen. Will return when my newer one gets repaired and I can afford to pay the bill.

Geoff the frustrated

Posts: 4431 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, heck, we hope you are back soon!

Posts: 23282 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, heck, we hope you are back soon!

I'll second that!!!

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

posted Hide Post
Computer problems must be going around! It looks like my computer has died. Someone this morning loaned me one to use, as it doesn't look promising for the one I have been using. I am hoping that they can at least get my documents off of it.

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am hoping that they can at least get my documents off of it.

Unfortunately, a promise seldom kept.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5991 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got my old XP machine working for the time being. It often suffers narcolepsy, so hoo nose how long I'll be here.

Posts: 4431 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I am on too, Geoff! LOL Small world.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
At least you are here for now. Big Grin

Posts: 7858 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I'm on a Sinclair 64 with an Etch-A-Sketch screen.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I'm on a Sinclair 64 with an Etch-A-Sketch screen.
Gosh, I found one of those in the barn when we moved in here. I probably should have kept it. My first computer was a tape drive Coleco Adam with a daisy wheel printer. One didn't want to be in the same room with it when the printer was working. It was LOUD! I'm supposed to get my Dell crotchtop computer back before the weekend.

Sattva, are you worried about catching a virus? That's my big worry with this old XP. Otherwise, I find it easier to understand than the later OSs.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Sattva, are you worried about catching a virus? That's my big worry with this old XP. Otherwise, I find it easier to understand than the later OSs.

Geoff, I always liked KP better than 7 or 10. Hopefully, I won't get a virus. Though Dick loaned it to me indefinitely, mine is repaired, awaiting for my SS check to come in so i can pick it up next week. I may have to go without eating though in July. LOL Maybe I could start a Gofundme account!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am on a Commodore 64. Wink

We had one, and it was way ahead of its time. Shu even bought a computer magazine and wrote a program for word processing. Then we bought Word Perfect. The times seemed simpler then.

Posts: 23282 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cognitive rehabilitation program I used was on a Commodore 64. Not sure it helped, though. Still can't remember what I'm doing half the time.

Speaking of cognition, I'm back on my crotchtop computer which has had its entire memory wiped out. I've got to re-find all my bookmarks, etc.
**&^!@#% I HATE COMPUTERS!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Too late now, Geoff, but I suggest you backup your computer to the Cloud from now on. One service that I've heard good reports of is IDrive which gives you 5GB free. You can also use it to backup other devices like smart phones.

I would mention that when I bought a new computer several years ago when Cloud services were new I was sold the shop's own backup system so I don't use IDrive myself. There are, of course, several other sites out there which a google search will find.

Another thing - you say you lost your favorites. If you use Google's browser, Chrome, they are automatically saved and are restored as soon as you sign in.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10927 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, arnie, but I haven't a clue how to backup a computer file. As I said, some cognitive bits of my brain never returned, and understanding computers seems to be among them.

Alas, some of the things I wanted to save were in Microsoft Word.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:

Alas, some of the things I wanted to save were in Microsoft Word.

Like you, Geoff, it was what i had on Microsoft Word, plus photos, that made me opt for repairing and recovering the old files and computer. I have several projects in Word that i want to keep. I am going to be more diligent in packing them up to a flash drive on a regular bases.

posted Hide Post
Fine - IF you know how!

Geoff the ignorant

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I have an external drive which automatically backs up most of my files. Of course this is being used because we lost almost all our files (including many photos) when our computer crashed.

Nollidj is power.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't a clue how to backup a computer file

It's not difficult. It takes a couple of minutes to tell the program what files to backup and it does the rest in the background.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10927 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post