Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Saturday's Chat
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saturday's Chat Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume your American ancestors were more violent than ours in the UK. When we just "touch" the wood, you "tap" or knock" on it. Big Grin

It is part of the British talent for self-effacing diplomacy, that ensures that we don't do anything more violent than touching our wood.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is the chat at 12:00 CST and 18:00 GMT. I'll be there, and I hope you will be too.

Posts: 23300 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are visiting relatives for lunch today and might not be back in time.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
So, Kalleh and I had a lovely chat. Too bad nobody else could make it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I could have. But I thought you were going to be chatting in the wrong place Frown

Posts: 7866 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I was staying with my brother and family and only got back about an hour ago.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We should have chatted on gmail, Bob, because we would have loved to have chatted with you.

I very much enjoyed z's and my conversation, even though it was just the two of us. I particularly loved hearing about the "Avatar" movie because I want to see it.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Completely forgot, but then, we had our son home for the weekend (he only lives 7 miles from here, but he stayed over the weekend for Christmas) and we were busy watching movies. Sorry!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, we missed you. I'll jiggle your elbow next Saturday!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hope that we'll see many of you on the Wordcraft chat tomorrow. We'll chat on here this week, starting at 12:00 Central Standard Time, and 18:00 GMT.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow's the chat. We'll have it here on Wordcraft tomorrow, but next week we'll have it on Gmail again. It'll start at 12:00 noon, CST, or 18:00 GMT. See ya!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow. We had a great chat today! CW, WM, Geoff, Richard, Shufitz and I were all there. It was just like old times!

Next Saturday we'll be on gmail.

Thank you!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow's chat will be on gmail. Just go to gmail and we will invite you to chat. Whoever is there first should do the inviting. I'll try to be there right at 12, CST, though I have to leave by 12:30 to attend a memorial.

See you tomorrow!

posted Hide Post
I still can't make Gmail work so I'll not be there.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've sent you an invitation to gmail. It's completely straightforward to activate an account.

Posts: 7866 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Tomorrow's chat will be on gmail. Just go to gmail and we will invite you to chat. Whoever is there first should do the inviting. I'll try to be there right at 12, CST, though I have to leave by 12:30 to attend a memorial.

See you tomorrow!

So THAT'S why nobody was there when I showed up at ten, then checked back at eleven!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4449 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did make it after all - but I find the system a bit creaky compared with the Wordcraft Chat pages. Still, it's better than nothing.

As an aside, it is maybe a salutary reminder to us all how much the world has changed in just a few generations. When I started work, to speak to someone overseas you had to route your telephone call through the International Exchange, and calls to places like Australia or the USA had to be booked in advance. From memory they cost £3/minute and you could have a maximum of 3 minutes. In those days £3.00 was a week's wages for an ordinary working man. And of course, you could only chat to as many people as could gather around the telephone receiver.

Now we can chat to others all around the world (and could chat by video if we wished) for as near to nothing as makes no difference - and here am I complaining that the chat is not quite as slick as I'd like.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, the chat was a little less than slick today, that I'll agree on. I don't quite get yet how to decide who should start inviting people. I thought the first people there could do that, but we seemed to have some trouble getting everyone together. But that will work out, I am sure.

posted Hide Post
Does this mean the normal chat forum is invalid? I sure was lonely there this morning!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4449 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Not at all, Geoff. Indeed, I much prefer it because you can tell who's there. However, if you recall, Bob can't use our chat system for some reason. Therefore, once a month we try to chat from G-mail. That's all. Next week it will be here again.

I should have thought to come here and checked, but I wasn't in the chat long anyway because of the memorial service we had to attend.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Indeed, I much prefer it because you can tell who's there.

On my Gmail page there was a strip at the top that had the names of the attendees. It wasn't all that obvious but clear enough once you knew it was there.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Last time we did this I kept the normal chat window open and switched back and forth. I'll make sure I do that again next time we have a GMail chat.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
it is maybe a salutary reminder to us all how much the world has changed in just a few generations

Indeed. There was a story out of Haiti of someone trapped in rubble who texted a friend in the states who contacted people in Haiti who dug him out. Negroponte's prediction -- in the future, your right cuff-link will talk to your left cuff-link via satellite -- is closer everyday.

Posts: 1245 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Today's chat will be here on Wordcraft. It will start at 12:00 noon, CST, or 18:00 GMT. I am in Arizona, but hope to be here at least for a bit.

See you then!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I can't get into the chat. There must be something about firewalls in hotels because the last time I was in Phoenix I couldn't get in the chat. Boo! Hoo!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, I can't get into the chat. There must be something about firewalls in hotels because the last time I was in Phoenix I couldn't get in the chat. Boo! Hoo!
Could it have anything to do with the new email verification process? You were, after all, posting from a different address.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose. However, the same thing happened as when I tried to get into our chat on Halloween (again I was in a hotel in Phoenix). I got all the way past the dancing figure, but then it wouldn't go into the chat and said something about not being able to. I was gmail chatting with zmj at the time, and he had me try my other browsers (I tried Firefox, IE and Chrome), but none worked. I think it's something to do with hotel firewalls, which probably is similar to Bob's problem.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is our chat here on Wordcraft at 12:00 CST and 18:00 GMT. I am at (yet another) a conference, and I am not sure if I'll be able to make it. I'll try, though!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, heck. I am at a hotel again and again could not get into the chat, having tried various browsers. I am going to contact our server about this because Bob's problem might come from Wordcraft, rather than his IP provider (or whatever it's called).

I've missed 2 chats in a row now because of that.

posted Hide Post
I checked in at just after 1800GMT and ZM was there. We chatted briefly then I had troible with a window that wouldn't load and wouldn't close and which was slowing everything down. So I had to do the control - alt - delete thing to get out of it and, when I got back to the chat I was the only one there.

So I chatted to myself for a while until I got bored with the company and left.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll be here tomorrow for the chat...12:00 noon CST, and 18:00 GMT. Hope to see at least a couple of you!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shall we try a gmail chat tomorrow? Bob, we hope you can make it. Here is my problem with gmail chats...someone has to start it and then invite others. Whoever is there at noon, please start the chat and begin inviting others. You can tell who is online by looking at the left side of gmail. Just invite all Wordcrafters who have a green circle (meaning they are available for chat). I will try to be here on time, but I have my class tomorrow morning and may be a few minutes late.

See you all on Gmail at noon, CST, tomorrow or 18:00 GMT.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We had a nice chat today. The two Cats were there, so that was pleasant.

Gmail chats are a little confusing in trying to get in. At one point I had 3 different chats going.

Where have you been, arnie? We've missed you!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Sorry, real life intervened. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is our regular chat here on Wordcraft...12, CST, or 18:00, GMT. See you then?

posted Hide Post
As usual, I'll not be around. I have a discussion group for The Sun Magazine http://www.thesunmagazine.org/ readers to attend.
I'm the moderator this time, so I've gotta be there!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, we'll miss ya, Geoff. Tomorrow at 1:00 CST (18:00 GMT) will be our regular chat. I will not be at my class so I should be here on time.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid real life will intrude again so I'll probably not the there. I might possibly get back in time, though. Have a good chat, anyway!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There weren't many of us...just zmj, Richard and I. However, as usual, it was fun to connect.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How about more of us joining the chat tomorrow? I have a pesky Achille's tendonitis and won't be at my class so I should be here (chat will be on Wordcraft) on time.

As a reminder, the chat starts at 12 noon, CST, or 18:00, GMT.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Just tried to join the chat for the last 15 minutes (sorry--I got distracted and forgot until now) but nobody was there. Well, toodeloo until next week!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I got distracted too, but I didn't remember until a quarter of an hour later than Wordmatic. Unsurprisingly, there was still no-one there.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, with all my good intentions, our son has gastroenteritis, with dehydration, and is in the hospital. So I was late. CW, zmj and Richard were there, but both CW and zmj had to leave relatively early. At that point (maybe 12:30, my time?), there was just Richard and I, and Richard was about to eat and I was feeling guilty chatting with my son in the hospital.

So...there you have it. Wink

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, Kalleh. Hope he has recovered by now.

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
He is.

We missed you, WM!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
The evil retired person (moi) who stays up until 3 a.m. sometimes, because she can, and then sleeps until 11 a.m. on Saturday morning is prone to forget when 1 p.m. rolls around that it is time for the chat. That's because she is only just waking up. She apologizes for her profound laziness and lack of discipline and fully intends to mend her ways, someday.

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow...3 a.m.! I think I'd like doing that. I am definitely a late night person, and not a morning person.

Tomorrow is our chat again at 12:00, CST, or 18:00 GMT. I'll be here tomorrow until about 12:30 or so, and then I'll have to leave.

Our time changes Saturday night so next week it could be confusing, depending on what other countries do.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
My Internet connection (and cable TV) went down on Saturday afternoon, a couple of hours before the chat was due. At the moment they are both still down. The girl on the helpdesk seemed confident that it would be restored by then, but we shall see. I'll find out when I get home from work tonight. Frown

posted Hide Post
quote:
Our time changes Saturday night so next week it could be confusing, depending on what other countries do.

In the northern hemisphere the USA and Canada, and some other parts of The Americas put their clocks forward during the weekend of 13 March - mostly on Sunday 14 March.

Europe, The Middle East, and most of what was the USSR will put their clocks forward during the weekend of March 27, mostly on Sunday March 28.

If the US contributors keep to their times, then they will be an hour ahead of the UK's "usual" time (1800 GMT) for the next two chats. Most of those in the antipodes will not change their clocks until the first weekend in April and, because they are moving to winter time, their clocks will go back, not forward.

There is a good listing here for the beginning of 2010 - http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst2010a.html

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, let's keep it at GMT for next week, which would be the same time for the UK, 18:00 GMT, and it would be 11:00 PDT, 12:00 MDT, 1:00 CDT, and 2:00 EDT, in the U.S. (maybe WM will be up by then. Wink) If' you're in the rest of world, please check Richard's link above. Or this is a nice site, too, for putting in major cities and getting the time.

Let's chat on Gmail next time, just to mix it up a bit (and to include Bob). Simply go to your Gmail account and the first person there should begin to invite people. See you then!

This week's chat was a little low in attendance, so let's hope for a little more interaction next Saturday (the 20th)!