Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    In the News
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the News Login/Join

posted
I was thinking perhaps we could have an "In the News" section because I just can't believe that Trump just fired FBI director Comey. I am sure that you all have news items also that make you think "What the ____?!

I am not going to comment more on this right now, just the shock and timing of this after the senate hearing is telling.

Please post in this thread if you find anything in the news that shocks you or makes you happy. By the way, I am glad of the result in the French election.

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We have had a thread about words in the news. But we could talk about news that shocks or makes you happy.

I guess I am going back to the Comey news. It surprised me that the reason given for firing Comey (at least originally) was because he was so mean to Hillary, to paraphrase Donald. Really? This is the guy who kept revving up crowds to say, "Jail her!"

Happy news? So far our economy is still doing well.

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The real reason will be whatever Sean Spicer denies most strongly.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
The real reason will be whatever Sean Spicer denies most strongly.

Bob, Spicer may be on his way out. Sarah Huckabee Sanders conducted yesterday's news conference. I heard some interesting stories on why that happened. Seems that Trump is not pleased with Spicer. Spicer was said to be at the Pentagon. There is an account though that Spicer hid behind some bushes at one point the other evening to avoid reporters. I seriously don't blame him. I wonder if he had any idea what working for Trump would be like?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sattva,

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

posted Hide Post
Avocado hand injuries are on the rise!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/av...njuries-on-the-rise/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:

Thanks, goofy. Much better news than what has been coming out of Washington this week!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Let's move this thread to Community, since it isn't really about words. Arnie, could you please do that for us? I'll PM him too.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Moved as requested.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, arnie.

posted Hide Post
Every day is a new story under the Trump administration. I have heard news reporters even saying that they are finding it difficult to keep up with it all. Some of the latest: Did you know that they let not only Russians into the oval office but a Russian state-owned camera crew? Some are wondering if they planted bugs. Oh, no need to do that, Trump gave them classified information according to the Washington Post. This sounds like a work of fiction!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I absolutely think we have to find Melissa McCarthy as good news this week - she just makes us laugh. Here is a video of her traveling the streets of Manhattan.

posted Hide Post
Yes, I watched the SNL skit. Big Grin

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:

haha, hilarious, goofy. Forwarded to crunchy-granola son & gf

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sattva:
Every day is a new story under the Trump administration. I have heard news reporters even saying that they are finding it difficult to keep up with it all. Some of the latest: Did you know that they let not only Russians into the oval office but a Russian state-owned camera crew? Some are wondering if they planted bugs. Oh, no need to do that, Trump gave them classified information according to the Washington Post. This sounds like a work of fiction!
Yes, I follow all this in detail, sattva. I have to admit I am happy DJT is abroad for a few days >sigh of relief<. This last week was exhausting. I experience a constant cognitive dissonance between what I am accustomed to-- vs actually hearing-- out of DC. Whiplash between what would under 'normal' circumstances read as high alert/ war? collapse of govt? Impeachment?-- vs, never mind, just bloviating/ inappropriate ranting/ just ignore the man behind the curtain...

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weekends are helpful, too, not quite as much news coming in Bethree5.

posted Hide Post
Considering the etymology of avocado, it seems that Mexican lawyers' testicles are the things getting sliced: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=avocado

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 4432 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
HopefullY THIS species won't propagate.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5994 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trump’s proposed 2018 budget takes an ax to science research funding

For many science agencies and programs, the outlook appears stark. Some examples:

quote:
The National Science Foundation, which funds research in all fields of science and engineering, would face an 11 percent cut.
The U.S. Geological Survey’s budget would be cut by 15 percent.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology, where research includes cybersecurity and nanotechnology, would face a 23 percent cut.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s primary research arm, which investigates weather, climate and ocean resources, would be cut 32 percent.
The Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of Science & Technology would be cut by 37 percent.
The budget proposes a 16 percent cut for the Department of Energy’s Office of Science, the largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention would take a 17 percent cut.
Food and Drug Administration funding (not including revenue from user fees) would be cut by 30 percent.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Research Service would fall 22 percent.
And, as expected, the National Institutes of Health’s budget would be slashed 22 percent.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Terrible. Let's hope Congress will fight this.

posted Hide Post
Did anyone watch the Comey testifying today for Congress? McCain was the last person to ask questions. It was bizarre. McCain blamed it on staying up late to watch a game, but lots of people are wondering, including me. McCain Questioning Comey

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sattva:
Did anyone watch the Comey testifying today for Congress? McCain was the last person to ask questions. It was bizarre. McCain blamed it on staying up late to watch a game, but lots of people are wondering, including me. McCain Questioning Comey

Did Trump Live Tweet as he was threatening to or did his administration manage to distract him with something bright and shiny (with his picture on it)?

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I read where he watched the hearing with attorneys and others. His son though was tweeting through it.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Rhode Island makes national news for wrong reasons once motre.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tinman:
Trump’s proposed 2018 budget takes an ax to science research funding
I think (just from reading over the yrs, w/no stats to back my opinion), that this is a pattern: as $ has trickled up to corporations since 1980 [Reagan deregulation] & fed research-funding has simultaneously been cut by increments, the corps have been gradually incentivized to take over the lion's share of research-funding. Well before Trump-- under both Rep & Dem admins-- we have seen scientific research at unis sponsored by corps & results skewed to hew to their profit-goals. It remains to Trump to declare it a done deal.

I was a parent who raised an eldest child w/chronic illnesses [mental & physical] 1987-2010. I found mental treatments already compromised by BigPharma by the early '90's: prozac & ritalin promoted for children based on pharm-corp-sponsored studies of 30 participants for 6-12 wks, w/no govt-sponsored studies for comparison, & no longterm followup. That pattern continued: in our son's teens, we trialled a Euro-approved US-produced drug [studies similar, i.e., small cohort for short-term]-- w/disastrous results-- whose Euro-trials turned out to have been falsified in order to attain FDA approval!

Meanwhile on the phys-illness front, our kid had the bad luck to be afflicted in early childhood w/a rare sort of arthritic disease that is 'reactive', i.e., triggered by common food-poisoning germs such as salmonella (which was rampant in late-'80's in NYC)-- it was in his genes [his gr-grandmother probably had this reactive artritis, & my sis contracted it later on.] This was an illness well-known in UK-- whose socialized medicine system prioritizes chronic disease which tho rare, costs the public a lot in terms of long-term care. I found research/ treatments/ prognosis info only thro UK and India. As my son's health failed, the only treatments which helped were the biologic injections trialled in the UK, & there was a 6-12-mo lag in FDA approval. WHY? Because.. rare disease w/little profit-projection for US BigPharma.

Just to put the cap on it. And this too is about profit-motivated BigPharma & its winking at stats that don't support its profit-- but also about how the DEA butts in & makes things even worse. Reactive arthritis is a disease of pain. It affects the joints & the organs as well-- eyes/ stomach/ intestine/ bladder/ urethra. So soon one must employ pain meds in order for the patient to go about daily life. And access to pain meds is a whole 'nother thing in US healthcare delivery: one enters into an AMA/DEA demi-monde. Again, an area of med research where UK et al socialized-med countries were ahead of the US by decades. To our credit, by my eldest's late-teen years, we had a nascent Pain Mgt field from which he benefited. Yet our pain-mgt drs lag behind the socialized-med countries in clinical experience, & their clinical experience is constantly warped by BigPharma prescriptions [A profit-model that is akin to pushing opiates] and DEA constraints that have nothing to do w/ plliative medicine.

Our kid was killed by the pain meds, for sure, even tho administered in-hospital, in an attempt to step him down from opiates to methadone. My research shows that the transition from hi-dose opiates to methadone is fraught, & prone to SFCA [Sudden Fatal Cardiac Arrest, which claimed my eldest] particularly in the 1st 3 days' transition. Our pain-mgt dr had not even seen that lone study-- most probably because, as the director of the study noted-- when autopsy shows excess methadone, the death is usually categorized as a 'methadone death' & lumped in w/general drug-overdose deaths-- thus obfuscating a stat that relates instead to US treatment of chronic pain syndromes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
... $ has trickled up to corporations since 1980 [Reagan deregulation] ...

No, no, you've got that all wrong. Money trickled down from the corporations to us common folk. That's why we're all so filthy rich. Now with Trumps policies, I expect we'll all be millionaires in short order.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss, Bethree. I totally agree with you about the need for more NIH funding of objective research. It's the only way to go.

With the huge opiate crisis in the U.S., we are seeing health care providers not attending to pain because of fearing that patients will become addicted. Patients with severe pain because of cancer or other diseases need to be treated effectively. It's a sorry situation.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
An old cdger of seeming refinement
Robbed a bank. "Jail should be my assignment.
To avoid further strife
Keep me free from my wife."
Said the judge: "You shall get home confinement.

n elderly man robbed a bank but stayed, waiting for the police. He said he wanted jail s he would be away from his wife. But the judge sentenced him to six months home confinrmrnt.

Rhode Island's teacher of the year attended a White Hiuse ceremony honoring the state winners, including the national winner. Each had their picture taken with The Donald but could NOT talk. RI's teacher had his photo taken displaying a LGBT pin while he held a lace fan. He reported that Trump didn't stand when presenting the award to the naional winner.

Nollidj is power.

posted Hide Post
Alas, they don't always get it right in the UK either. Case in point: https://www.publications.parli...alth/786/786vw25.htm

Most sorry to learn of your situation, bethree5.

Posts: 4432 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
At last some good news. A recent headline said:

NASA ANNOUNCES IT HAS NO CHILD SLAVES ON MARS.

Apparently they had to refute a claim n InfoWars (Trump's favorite news source).

Nollidj is power.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Headline on Huffigton Post:

Betsy DeVos Will Meet With Men’s Rights Activists Tomorrow About Sexual Assault

i can't decide if she's against it or extending an invitation for a gangbang.

Nollidj is power.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Likely the latter...

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Question about item in the news: Can the President pardn himself?

If yes, is it a good idea?

Nollidj is power.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There seem to be differing views on that. However, it is agreed that if he can, it is an admission of guilt. And we all know how Donald never wants to admit his wrong. Roll Eyes

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
If e can't, then any crimes not connected to official duties can be prosecuted; if not, he's above all laws -- a dictator.

Nollidj is power.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Likely the latter...

Sorry to be late, missed this one. As usual BDeVos has a tin ear for politics/ culture, & always manages to chime in on complex issues sounding horribly wrong. [& truth be told, her Calvinistic-informed position on vouchers is in fact horribly wrong, & her position that non-public-schools should be supported by public taxes but not held to any std or performance is even worse.]

But this issue is a real hornets' nest. I believe DeVos is trying [correctly] to intervene in a situation which has made a pendulum swing from 'anything goes' [e.g. for most of campus history since the '60's demise of chaperones, dress code, dorm separation of males/ females, wherein rapes were routinely unreported/ blamed on females] to 'the accused is suspended pending investigation'-- wherein males are bounced from campus w/o due process & potentially derailed from college & even career.

Clearly, rapes should be handled by local cops, not campus cops/ campus kangeroo courts. But court procedure can take a couple of yrs-- during which the accused is free to continue his studies, free to harrass the accuser, or worse, attack others-- hence, college admin exercises its power to bounce the accused off campus, ostensibly for breaking some campus rule of decorum (but perhaps to protect itself from liability.)

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
In an obit for a recent celebrity death:

Her family confirmed that she died on Wednesday, following a long battle with cancer (via The Hollywood Reporter).

How did the newspaper give her cancer? I hesitate to read the local rag since they may be in league.

Nollidj is power.

posted Hide Post
With Trump's recent statements about the incident in Virginia I happened to listen to a talk that referenced this incident.

Trump's Father

In the talk I listened to (a Buddhist one), they talked about other incidences with discrimination by Trump's father. Of course, my first thought was that of course, Donald Trump learned racism from his father. My second thought was that when he talked about good people on the alt right side, he might in some ways, be subconsciously or consciously, thinking that his father was a "good" person. I am not trying to downplay the obvious terrible and childish actions of Donald Trump, but it might explain partly how he turned out the way he did.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
When the Klan washuge in the 20s, Trump's father was arrested during a rally in NYC. Donald denied it but the newspapers found the original arrest report. Fred Trump als refused black tenants and Donald was sued by the NIXON admin for the same reason.

With his talk about destroying "beautiful statues", Trump has allowed many works to destroyed during his construction works, mostly because museums wouldn't pay his high price to save them.

Nollidj is power.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Another Trumpism.

Nollidj is power.

posted Hide Post
Is a rotary-winged flying hospital a healicopter?" Confused

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is a rotary-winged flying hospital a healicopter?"

If it transported your dead body to Hades, it would be a Hellicopter.
If it was run by AAA, it would be a helpicopter.
If it carried a fnt, it might br a Helviticopter.

Nollidj is power.