Wordcraft Community Home Page
POLL: Wordcraft Gathering, 2008

This topic can be found at:
http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/281603894/m/6841076674

July 11, 2007, 03:36
arnie
POLL: Wordcraft Gathering, 2008
Please also see the main discussion thread at <A HREF="http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/281603894/m/3951027174?r=3951027174#3951027174" TARGET=_blank>http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/28160389...951027174#3951027174</A><BR><BR>As Richard suggested, I'm posting a poll for people to express their interest and preferred dates so that CW can firm something up.<BR><BR><span class="ev_code_RED">Please answer <B>both</B> questions - use "N/A" if you won't be coming. </span>Will you be coming to Wordcraft 2008 in Columbus ?YesNoDon't know yetWhat is your preferred date?Early MayMid MayLate MayEarly JuneMid JuneOther (please specify in a reply)N/A

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 11, 2007, 10:03
BobHale
I haven't voted.

I'd love to attend but none of those dates would be possible for me. As I've posted on the other thread the only practical dates for me are the Easter break which is at the end of March and the start of April.

I realise that this is likely to be the least popular choice and far too early for most people. Hence my statement that if necessary you should go ahead and arrange it without me.

May and June would be totally out of the question as they are in term time (and the half term break is too short to be of any use) and while July might be possible it would be at the expense of several thousand pounds lost summer school earnings on top of the cost.

I like you all, just not that much. Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

My current blog.
Photographs to accompany Anyone Can DO It available from www.lulu.com
My photoblog The World Through A lens
July 13, 2007, 01:00
Richard English
Come on, Wordcrafters! 69 views and only one vote. Yes, no or don't know yet, aren't really too tricky as choices!

Our two previous gatherings were really enjoyable and we'd like Wordcraft 2008 to be at least their equal. The more time we have to plan the better will be the event.

Richard English
July 13, 2007, 02:59
BobHale
I haven't voted for the reasons given above, but like Richard I'd like to see a few more votes/comments in here so that we can have enough data to get some kind of informed consensus.

My current blog.
July 13, 2007, 03:01
arnie
quote:
69 views and only one vote.
Confused

I see five votes - four "noes" and a "don't know". I'm fairly sure they were there before you posted, Richard; I saw them last night.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
July 13, 2007, 03:05
BobHale
REMEMBER You aren't voting for a cast-in-stone date for a gathering, just as an indicator of preferences to give us some idea of what is likely to be best!

My current blog.
July 13, 2007, 03:08
Caterwauller
I'm not planning to vote because any time would work for me. I'm happy to host whenever the largest group of people would be able to make the trip.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
July 13, 2007, 04:00
Richard English
I reckon you should vote, CW. We wouldn't want to arrive and find that you're out of townWink

Richard English
July 13, 2007, 04:11
arnie
CW, that's what the "other" category is for! Wink

July 13, 2007, 05:51
Caterwauller
Oh alrighty, then! I say "other" because whenever you all choose is the best time, it's the best time for me to be here and host! Big Grin

~Dalai Lama
July 22, 2007, 19:17
Kalleh
I voted for "other" because I'd like to see it around Easter again so that Bob can attend.

If that's not possible, I guess I'd choose June...early or mid would work for me. If we are doing this in the midwest again, I'd like to see it when the weather is a bit more predictable.
July 23, 2007, 15:12
Caterwauller
Easter is in March next year. How does that sound to our prospective travellers?

~Dalai Lama
July 24, 2007, 00:33
Richard English
March is too early for me. I need to be in Canada in early May and ideally want to combine the trips so I don't have to take two transatlantic flights within a month (I'm an old-aged pensioner now Confused)

Richard English
July 24, 2007, 09:52
tsuwm
>If we are doing this in the midwest again..

as a mostly disinterested observer, but in light of the poll results to date, perhaps this is an underlying issue that ought to be mentioned?
July 24, 2007, 10:51
Richard English
It makes no difference to me where it is to be, but CW was the one who volunteered to look after things and I, for one, am very pleased that she did.

But if others have strong feelings about the venue and /or the date then it's "speak now or forever hold your pieces".

Richard English
July 26, 2007, 13:01
Kalleh
quote:
as a mostly disinterested observer, but in light of the poll results to date, perhaps this is an underlying issue that ought to be mentioned?
Ah...the elephant in the room, so to speak...

CW, why don't you and Asa confer and come up with a date and venue. I know at another point Portland had been discussed as a city for the next gathering. Perhaps we just need to have the hosts make the date, and we can plan around it.

Richard, is only late April or mid-May good for you? I had thought you had more flexibility than that.
July 26, 2007, 15:38
Richard English
quote:
Richard, is only late April or mid-May good for you? I had thought you had more flexibility than that.

I can manage any date but would sooner combine my transatlantic trips if possible. May would allow me to do that; Easter would not.

Richard English
July 26, 2007, 19:14
Caterwauller
I don't mind if someone else wants to host. I would like to have a good reason to go back to the West coast again, if someone out there wants to take it this coming year. It makes more sense to me if we move it around more . . . but someone needs to name a date in the next month or so, don't you think?

~Dalai Lama
July 26, 2007, 20:01
Kalleh
Probably in the next month or so.

Shu had a good idea. After this gathering, it might be nice to have it in the U.S. one year and in England (or somewhere transatlantic to the U.S.) the next. That way we give both sides of the ocean a chance to attend.
August 03, 2007, 19:42
wordmatic
I said "don't know yet" because it depends on the date. I would prefer mid to late June. I'll see what I can do about any of the other times that might be picked.

WM

P.S. It would make no difference whether Columbus or Portland, if we could agree on a date.
September 04, 2007, 00:25
BobKberg
I'm in a minor quandry. Being self-employed, I could only afford to go it business is really good. But - If business is really good, I might have difficulty sparing the time.

Bob

p.s. I'm deathly afraid (Not!) of being mortally wounded by all of those for whom English is more serious than I take it.
September 04, 2007, 02:01
Richard English
quote:
I'm in a minor quandry. Being self-employed, I could only afford to go it business is really good. But - If business is really good, I might have difficulty sparing the time.

That is one of the challenges of self-employment and it is one that I was warned against when I started. In truth it's best to schedule your holiday (vacation) time just as you schedule your work and treat it just as you would a work booking.

Very few customers are going to to say, when you deny them their first choice of dates, "OK - then I'll find someone else!" Customers know that good people are busy people and will usually be happy to wait. Those that won't - well, do you really want customers like that?

Richard English
September 05, 2007, 11:55
arnie
This poll and topic are now closed. See the later poll at http://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/281603894/m/7491014984