Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Security Threat?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security Threat? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Sattva tells me that she has been getting messages about a security threat when she has accessed Wordcraft. Have any of you? I specifically pay for this site so that it will be safe for all of us, so I hate to see anyone having problems.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Nope. In fact, my anti-virus, Bitdefender, rates the site as "safe".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi. As I told Kalleh, this was happening every time I clicked on to the site for awhile. I would do a system restore and check for viruses afterward. I was at a point where I thought I would have to give up coming, when it stopped happening. It kept saying that the threat came from somewhere in the UK. It gave me an address but I was never fast enough to catch it totally. I am just glad it stopped Smile

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I was getting the same message a while ago (but not here) and I bought a program called Maware which ended all such warnings. It takes everything threatening out.

One problem I had involved Microsoft. I had a glitch with windows 10 installation and had to call them on a landline. They told me a tech would correct things if I called another number. To this day I can't figure out what happened but the yech took control of my computer, made my screen go bananas for some tine , then told meI was infected but he could fix it I thought that was nice of Microsoft and agreed. But the he asked which "plan" I wanted, ranging from $300 to $800. I told him what he could do, but found my screen locked. Eventually I rebooted, wich cleared the screen, but it kept happening till I got the malware.

And for weeks afterward I got calls offering to remedy the trouble they had caused.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6000 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I had a similar thing happen, Proof.

I hope it wasn't because of our site, Sattva!

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect the "Microsoft" technician was a crook who took over your computer in order to swindle you. Microsoft is bad enough without THOSE guys!

Posts: 4443 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I had a glitch with windows 10 installation and had to call them on a landline.

Where did you get the landline number? There are dozens of scams where fake warnings pop up on your screen giving a number to call. As far as I know Microsoft don't offer any service similar to the one you described so my bet is that it was a fake warning, a fake number and a genuine scam.

Posts: 7863 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post