Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Announcement of absence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Announcement of absence Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I'll have only my phone for access to the internet for the next two weeks so don't expect any new posts from more or quick replies. Should be back at the start of August.

Posts: 7863 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Hi folks. I'm back. Did you miss me?

What? You didn't notice I was gone. Perhaps this, which I just posted on Facebook might explain it...

quote:
Sometimes I just <expletive deleted> hate China. Right now I am supposed to be changing planes in XiAn to fly up to visit Teresa. Instead I am sitting back in my apartment.
Why?
I'm glad you asked. The whole country runs on a lethal combination of incompetence and bloody-mindedness. Let me explain.
When you need to renew your residency permit it takes twenty days for a guy to stick the bit of paper he has in his left hand into your passport which he has in his right hand. Why? That's the incompetence bit.
For that twenty days they issue you with a receipt which they tell you will allow you to travel within China. And sometimes it does.
Today though we ran into the bloody-minded bit. Having checked in and got my ticket I was stopped by security who insisted that you can't travel without a passport. That the receipt is no good. My protests that I had travelled with that self same bit of paper just one week ago were met with glares and shrugs. Calls from my office admin and from my boss met with what was clearly abusive responses from the security men.
The outcome is that I am going nowhere until I get my passport back. Probably in about another two weeks. Assuming they have managed the minimum competency to do the job of sticking in a bit of paper correctly.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Homeland Security here.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6000 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps all will be better once they install facial recognition devices for travelers and fecal
recognition devices for officials.

Posts: 4443 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Perhaps all will be better once they install facial recognition devices for travelers and fecal
recognition devices for officials.

I like it Geoff. I may steal it.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Time for my second attempt to get to Baiyin. I have a flight ticket and a taxi booked AND my passport. What, I wonder, can go wrong this time. Assuming the answer is nothing I will have very limited access to my computer for two weeks so don't expect any quick responses to anything.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Have fun, Bob!

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post