Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Saturday's Chat
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Saturday's Chat Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't make it, I completely forgot about it Frown.

There was only me and Arnie last week and he was busy tweaking the stylesheet, so he didn't talk much Frown.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Arnie never talks much, anyway. Don't take it personally! He's the strong, silent type.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dianthus:
Sorry I didn't make it, I completely forgot about it Frown.

There was only me and Arnie last week and he was busy tweaking the stylesheet, so he didn't talk much Frown.

I forgot it, too! Frown I was on it last week, but evidently there was a technical problem, so I was just chatting to myself. Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's the strong, silent type

Agreed, and emphasis on the strong. Smile

My computer obviously doesn't want me to chat. Last Saturday it went crazy, though later in the day everything was fine. It has been fine all week. Today it had the same sort of craziness as last week during the chat. As you see, it is fine now. Go figure!

I used Shu's computer and chatted under his name. We had a nice chat, and zmj joined us!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's the strong, silent type.

You'll get a shock at the convention in 2006 when we meet! Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well I'm in the middle of my Harrow job and the computers here are a) c**p and b) set up so that if I typed out c**p in full I'd get locked out.
I also can't run any pages that use java or active X which pretty much kills the internet for me.

I'm locked out of both of my own web sites AND the oedilf (I think the latter is because there's a limerick on the front page that has the phrase "w*h*a*t___t*h*e___d*i*c*k*e*n*s" in it. How dumb can cyber ninny software get?

I'm also locked out of at least half a dozen threads here.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'll get a shock at the convention in 2006 when we meet!

I can't even think of words to express how much I'm looking forward to that shock!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
quote:
You'll get a shock at the convention in 2006 when we meet!

I can't even think of words to express how much I'm looking forward to that shock!

Me too!!!! Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have met a fair number of people from either here or realbeer.com, and I have never been disappointed! In fact, everyone I have met has been better in person than on the computer. How fortunate we are to have such great people posting here.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Saturday is the second Saturday of the month...so let's chat!

Our regular chat is this Saturday, and I hope to see many of you there! The times and directions are posted at the top of this thread, but it will be at 12:00 noon, CDT.

Join us! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I'm hopefully going to the seaside for the day tomorrow, so I doubt I'll be back in time :S.

Oh well, have a great one if I don't see you there!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have to be at our son's birthday BBQ so won't make it. Can you maybe discuss the 2006 convention and try to agree:

A name
The dates
Some numbers

Then I can get onto the hotel and block off some accommodation for us and start looking at a programme.

I know it's a while away and I also know, having been in the travel business all my life, just how long it takes to get things sorted out and sorted out properly.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
When it comes to dates, perhaps we should wait til Bob and Doad are back in the mix so we can plan the convention for a time when they have a school break.

I'm working tomorrow, so it will be easier to plan to be at the chat - I'll do my best to have my lunch break during chat time. Big Grin

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, that's it. My computer is jealous that I chat every 2nd and 4th Saturday and has decided to shut down on me only then. As I told Shu, I don't even think you will believe me when I say that, once again, my computer went crazy. Once again, all my programs were flitting on and off, and I couldn't even access my ATT software to get online. This has happened for the last 3 chats...and that's the only time it's happened! Can you believe it?

However, this time it didn't come back to normal as it did the last 2 times. I am typing on our home computer now, and not my laptop.

I missed chatting with all of you! Frown

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So, who's the resident computer genuis? I think your laptop needs some serious therapy!

Once again I tried, but got overwhelmed within seconds. You guys type FAST!!!!!

Report This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
We missed you, too, Kalleh!

Asa - you did a fine job - you don't need to even say much, really - just chime in when you can. It does help to be able to type without looking at the keyboard.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, who's the resident computer genuis? I think your laptop needs some serious therapy!

I have no idea what this is...but my computer needs a new "mother board." It sounds important to me, and the Dell people have to come out to fix it so I am assuming it is major. They had checked it for viruses last week, but none came up.

BTW, our IT people tell me there is a terrible virus going around that is taking over computers. I didn't get the name, but it was just identified so has not been available in the anti-virus software. Just a heads up! Thankfully, that wasn't my problem!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
quote:

I have no idea what this is...but my computer needs a new "mother board." It sounds important to me, and the Dell people have to come out to fix it so I am assuming it is major.

It is - very much so Frown. This will tell you just how major it is.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Di. Just my luck!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am the love of our IT Dept. Today my substitute computer got a virus which cannot be quarantined, and I needed a substitute, substitute computer!

Carry on without me for a few days! I am at the library now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Today my substitute computer got a virus which cannot be quarantined

I get around several virus attacks every day, many of which can't be repaired and some of which can't be quarantined. However, they can all be deleted - and I have set my anti-virus software (Norton) to repair, or quarantine or delete, in that order.

It's possible to set most anti-virus prigrams to automatically update themselves (several times a day if necessary), check all emails automatically and scan your system automatically. I have set mine to do all things and, in spite of the attacks I get, have never been infected.

It should be possible for your IT team to arrange the same for your own system and that should stop the problems you are getting.

Incidentally, I assume you have a firewall as well as anti-virus software; that's a vital piece of kit these days.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This Saturday is the 4th Saturday of the month, and time for our usual chat. For newbies, the directions for accessing the chat are a snap; just go to the top of this thread where they are posted. The chat time is 12:00 noon, CDT. We have some great new posters, so how about joining us on the chat!

While my computer is finally virus-free and motherboard healthy, Shu and I will be in St. Louis at a Bat Mitzvah this weekend. We'll most likely be in Temple at the time of the chat. Such a pity! I haven't chatted in forever. I think I will just have to schedule an extra chat next Saturday or I will have withdrawal symptoms! Wink

posted Hide Post
I will be on board The Braemar this Saturday (hopefully having dinner with the Captain - but otherwise just having dinner). So I'll miss it again.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hope you guys had a good chat. We were at a Bat Mitzvah, and the girl talked about the term "stiffed-necked" in her haftorah. What a good word post that would be. I haven't heard it used to mean narrow minded, but apparently that's what is meant by it in the Torah.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Hardly anyone showed up. Just me, zmj and caterwauller (with jerry for a couple of minutes at the start. We didn't chat for long though zmj and I had a brief discussion of the Naxi people and language.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
There seemed to be a functionality problem with the chat room. We all kept getting booted or frozen and having to log on again. Frustrating, and not conducive to a good flow of chat.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed it, folks. I completely forgot it was on this week. Frown

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie, any ideas about what to do about the chat booting people out? That is frustrating, CW. Sorry.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no. It seems to be endemic in the system.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I can't make any promises but this may help some people:

Click Go > My Space > Preferences. Scroll down until you see the 'Chat Options' heading. Change the interface; if it is set on 'Advanced' try 'Basic' and vice versa. However, note the part about Safari, OmniWeb 5.1+, or AOL browsers. If you are using one of them, try using a different browser if you have one.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is the second Saturday of the month and time for our chat. I hope to be there...finally, albeit from my daughter's aparment.

For any newbies who would like to join us, go to the top of this thread, and the directions are there. We usually start around 12:00 noon, or so, CDT.

Hope to see you there!

posted Hide Post
Missed it again, dammit.

And I was in as well...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Tomorrow is the second Saturday of the month and time for our chat. I hope to be there...finally, albeit from my daughter's aparment.

For any newbies who would like to join us, go to the top of this thread, and the directions are there. We usually start around 12:00 noon, or so, CDT.

Hope to see you there!

Sorry I missed it Frown. I had to go shopping and then I did a few household chores. My back's been bad again and I also haven't been feeling very well recently, so I had a lie down around 4 pm, read my library book for a while and then fell asleep. I didn't wake up till after 7 Frown.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Di and Cat...because we had a great chat today! I haven't chatted in about 2 months, what with computer problems, Bat Mitzvahs, etc. It was so fun! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This Saturday is our regular chat. We welcome any newbies to join us! The directions for getting onto the chat are simple, and they are at the top of this thread (top of page 1). We start at 12 noon, CDT, and it usually runs an hour or a little longer.

Hope to see you all on Saturday! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
This Saturday is our regular chat. We welcome any newbies to join us! The directions for getting onto the chat are simple, and they are at the top of this thread (top of page 1). We start at 12 noon, CDT, and it usually runs an hour or a little longer.

Hope to see you all on Saturday! Big Grin

I'm sorry, but I won't be around on Saturday. In fact, I won't even be in this country Smile! I'm off in a couple of hours to catch the train to Portsmouth (on the south coast of England) then boarding the P & O Ferry bound for Le Havre in France and then I'll get the train from Le Havre to Gay Paree. I'm going to visit my son and daughter in law who live and work there Smile.

I'm sailing overnight (the ferry departs at 22.30 and docks at 08.00 French time {which is an hour ahead of UK time}) and, all being well, I should be in Paris just after 11 am tomorrow.

I'm returning overnight on Monday and I'll be back in the UK on Tuesday morning, so I might be online on Tuesday evening Smile.

posted Hide Post
Sadly nor shall I. As things are right now I am working on my "new" house at the weekend and I do not yet have a computer installed there. Indeed, apart from an airbed and some boxes there's not a lot there at all!

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's a bit late...but we had a great chat on Saturday. We even talked a little about words!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I wish we'd been in a position to join you, but since we were on the road with two big dogs and three cats...

OY!!! Frown BUT, we're here in Portland, and trying to figure out where it all will fit. Anybody want to buy half a houseful of junk? Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Report This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
OK - anyone else thinking of some appropriate "Asa-like" comments to help him figure out how to fit things and what position is best when you've got dogs and newlyweds???

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
After just having one of Sunflowr's dogs growl at me on MY bed, I'm thinking that "doggie style" will resemble a boot in a doggie's butt! Eek

Report This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Saturday is the second Saturday of the month...so it's time to chat! If you haven't chatted with us before, please see the top of this thread for instructions on how to access the chatroom. We will begin at 12:00 noon, Central time. Hope to see you there!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow...we really had a great chat today! There were about 10 of us or so, and it was quite fast-paced. Thanks everyone who joined us!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow...we really had a great chat today! There were about 10 of us or so, and it was quite fast-paced. Thanks everyone who joined us!

Hi folks. Sorry I couldn't join you this Saturday. I had problems with nasties infiltrating my computer Frown.

I also belong to PCPitstop and their forums members talked me through how to download and run various virus checker/zappers and through that, I discovered that I had enough Trojans to send Achilles and his gallant Greeks scurrying back to Athens in terror, enough worms to stock a king-sized compost heap and enough viruses to kill off half the world's computers Frown.

One hard disk format, an XP reinstall and several other fixes later, I'm now back online and I hope to be able to join the next chat Smile.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had enough Trojans to send Achilles and his gallant Greeks scurrying back to Athens in terror

That's an interesting phrase, as Trojans are so-named after the well-known Trojan horse, which of course was built by, and contained, Greeks. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
That's an interesting phrase, as Trojans are so-named after the well-known Trojan horse, which of course was built by, and contained, Greeks. Wink

Yes, I was hoping someone would pick up the reference Smile.

Have you read The Iliad and The Odyssey? I read them to my kids as bedtime stories years ago.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot to remind everyone...tomorrow (today for you the Europeans) is the fourth Saturday of October and the chat. Please join us at about 12:00 noon, Central Time. The directions and specific times are posted at the top of this thread.

Hope to see you there! I am in Washington DC now, so I don't know if I can make it or not.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
If I issue an all-points bulletin to remind all members, non-members, guests, strangers, other neighbors, and the like .... that today is the day for a community chat meeting ..... will anyone pay any attention ???

Time, it says here, will tell.

Posts: 6710 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Report This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Arnie and I are on chat right now, but others seem to be having a difficult time getting onto it. It may be their new software.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Groupee have changed the chat interface (again) and it now works using Macromedia Flash. If you are having trouble getting into chat, you might need the free Flash Player plugin. You can download it from the Macromedia site.