Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    The Lovable Losers have won! Not!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Lovable Losers have won! Not! Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Yes, yes, I know. No one on this board is a sports fan. Yet, I must announce that the Cubs, after many years of defeat, are in the play-off games! Chicago is ecstatic!

[I have edited this to reflect the curse of the Cubs. They were up 3 games to 1 and lost the series with Florida.]

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Wed Oct 15th, 2003 at 20:40.]

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
I'm happy for you, Kalleh! (So is my dad...he's THRILLED!)

I'm a big Mariners fan, but more of a baseball fan. Since my own team didn't make postseason play, I look forward to watching the Cubbies and the Red Sox play.

Posts: 51 | Location: Seattle, WA USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
It hardly matters since the Cubs are in the National League's Central Division, a grouping that over the years has evolved, for some unknown reason, to include a disproportionate share of the league's substandard teams. My local team is the Cardinals, also in the Central Division, and the same observation applies.

For those not familiar with American baseball, picture an automotive race featuring a Rolls Royce, a souped-up Chevy, and a tricycle. The tricycle is the National League Central. It doesn't matter who wins the honor of riding it, there's really no great chance for winning the race overall.

Enjoy your success, Chicago. (while it lasts...)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You're just jealous that the Cardinals flopped at the end of the season! We'll see, CJ, we'll see. Tell you what...if the Cubs beat Atlanta, in the play-off series, you have to....

No, let's pose this to the board. Wordcrafters, you are the smartest posters around. How about coming up with something (realistic--but funny) that CJ and I can bet on for the outcome of the first play-off series between the Cubs and Braves. My ideas were all stupid, like I promise to never post about beer again. Something creative?

And, I am pumped for this one! Rolls Royce versus tricycle! Grrrrr! Mad

Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
Ya'll get back to me when it's basketball season. Baseball is the only sport I've ever seen that is less interesting live than on tv. (They have those funny beer commercials on the tv!)

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
The Cardinals aren't "my" team. I just happen to live maybe 10 miles away from the stadium. In the 12 or so years I've lived here, I've attended a total of TWO games, both times as someone else guest. $4.50 for a 16 ounce cup of watered down lemonade that is mostly ice anyway? I don't think so!

In a bizarre coincidence, a womanfriend once asked me out to the ballgame (she was gonna take me out to the crowd, etc) but I had to pass because I had already made plans for that night - another friend had invited me out to that very same game!! What are the odds?!

Semi-related sidenote: One reason (one of many) that George Dubya never should have been elected was that when he was general manager of the Texas Rangers, not only did they never win squat but they also traded away Sammy Sosa to the Cubs! Had this info been widely diseminated, President Gore would have been our White House resident. And think of all the money we would have saved by not engaging in this Iraq fiasco! (but that's another topic, and a non-language-related one as well) entirely.

W.B., I do agree with your assessment. I remember seeing my first live game as a kid and being sorely disappointed at the lack of the instant replay.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
a womanfriend once asked me out to the ballgame but I had to pass because another friend had invited me !!

You have two friends??? Wink

Reminds me of the story that George Bernard Shaw once sent Winston Churchill two tickets for the opening night of his Shaw's new play, along with this note: "Bring a friend--if you have one." Churchill returned the tickets with a note saying, "Sorry, but I am engaged that evening. Please send tickets for the second night--if you have one."

[All in fun, CJ; I couldn't resist the joke any more than you'd have been able to.]

Posts: 2603 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I knew that I wouldn't get much baseball interest, not only because this is a word board, but also because it is fairly international. WinterBranch, I love basketball even more than baseball. We'll have a Bulls/Rockets discussion when the time comes.

In the meantime, of course the Chicago Cubs will take the World Series. BTW, for those of you who are not baseball fans at all, the Cubs really are known as the lovable losers since the last time they won the World Series was 1908!

Okay, nobody took the bait....so, if the Cubs lose the Atlanta series, I will never use the word beer in another Wordcraft post.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I once summed up my knowledge of sports in a chat room thus ==> "I don't even know which basket they're supposed to kick the puck through," and a fellow chatter suggested, "Corner pocket, Jerry."

Posts: 6710 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WinterBranch:
Ya'll get back to me when it's basketball season. Baseball is the only sport I've ever seen that is less interesting live than on tv. (They have those funny beer commercials on the tv!)

We can easily outdo that.

Cricket is less interesting live than it is on radio.

(I'm not kidding. With the general all round tedium and lack of action that cricket contains only the bizarre and often surreal nature of the radio commentary makes it "watchable". This can range through what the commentators had for breakfast, where they are going on their holidays, assorted (not necessarily cricket related) trivia and heaven knows what else but onlyrarely relates to what is happening in the match)

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 7864 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
OK, the bet is on!

quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
....so, if the Cubs lose the Atlanta series, I will never use the word _beer_ in another Wordcraft post.

And if they win the World Series, I will faint.

(...and I won't be alone, either!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But, if the Cubs win (Atlanta series), in
Each post
Expect a
Reference to beer! Big Grin Wink

[Unless, of course, CJ makes a real sacrifice if he loses the bet.]

9/30/03 First game with Atlanta: Cubs 4, Atlanta 2. GO CUBS!
10/1/03 Second game with Atlanta: Cubs 3, Atlanta 5. Frown
10/3/03 Third game with Atlanta: Cubs 3, Atlanta 1. Big Grin
10/4/03 Fourth game with Atlanta: Cubs 4, Atlanta 6. Frown

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sat Oct 4th, 2003 at 22:12.]

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
How about I give up believing in Snopes?

(I am so pissed!!)

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
On Budweiser?

I have to confess to a sneaking sense of admiration for the strength of anyone who can drink enough of that fizzy liquid to acquire enough alcohol to become drunk without becoming violently sick though carbonic acid overdose!

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
"Pissed," as has, I believe, been discussed elsewhere, in American English means "to be angered" as opposed to its British English meaning of "to be drunk." The British "Piss off," meaning "Go away," is, to the best of my knowledge, not related to the American "to be pissed off" which, again, means "to be angered."

Maybe I should run this by those intelligent folks at Snopes.com. No, on second thought, piss on them. (Yet another usage, this one, I think, common to both sides of the Atlantic.)

Examples of things that, in American English, can piss people off:

1.) Poor drivers
2.) Vandals
3.) Overly-loud music
4.) "Apple's for sale"
5.) People who obsess one one particular item, droning on and on and on about it and dragging it into every unrelated conversation, until everyone within cyber-reach can feel their minds turning into rancid tapioca from the repetition.
6.) Telemarketers
7.) Snopes.com (OK, that last one may be just me, but still...)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about I give up believing in Snopes?
I already have. It would be like going to the doctor, and she says, "Sorry, you'll never walk again." As you think about your options, she says, "Just kidding!" Now, that is one malpractice lawsuit that I would relish!

Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
Kalleh! They won, they won!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
On Budweiser?

I have to confess to a sneaking sense of admiration for the strength of anyone who can drink enough of that fizzy liquid to acquire enough alcohol to become drunk without becoming violently sick though carbonic acid overdose!

Richard English

blah blah blah blah.......... Sorry CJ, Kalleh, et. all.
Richard, I have tried to keep an open mind on the beer subject, but it just is not possible for you to do the same, is it?

Posts: 26 | Location: buffalo, nyReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Of course, you don't expect Richard to change his mind, now do you, toward Bud!@#%&*?

Many of us have our passions on this board. Just try to tell me that women are the weaker sex, as the thesaurus did. I blah, blah blahed there, even though sweet Bob tried his best to calm me down. Richard's passion happens to be good beers. I don't think a jury would convict him (as my mother used to say) for saying that Bud!@%$#* isn't a good beer. Roll Eyes

[I keep raising my number of beer posts! What will I do if the Cubs lose the Atlanta series? Eek

posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, you don't expect Richard to change his mind, now do you, toward Bud!@#%&*?

:

Change his mind? no. Be more open minded? That would be nice.

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Now, now kiddies... settle down.. People all have their own opinions and views on things... such as which beer they prefer. Me, I prefer to straddle the fence and enjoy both Fullers and Amstel Lights; and I think a Corona with a lime is the perfect drink with Nachos. Besides, you really can't beat the price. I can get a sixpack of Corona for about $7.00 while a single Wychwood brewed beer is $3.68 a bottle! And a million posts back and forth (which are breaking down to a Nyah, nyah, nyah match) are not going to change my opinion or Richard's or Mrtreetop's. So there!

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think a Corona with a lime is the perfect drink with Nachos.

TrossL, I like the way you think! Mmmmmm, nachossssssssss.

Look, I'll even spin it back to words. Why are nachos called nachos? Big Grin

Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cricket is less interesting live than it is on radio.

(I'm not kidding. With the general all round tedium and lack of action that cricket contains only the bizarre and often surreal nature of the radio commentary makes it "watchable". This can range through what the commentators had for breakfast, where they are going on their holidays, assorted (not necessarily cricket related) trivia and heaven knows what else but onlyrarely relates to what is happening in the match)

Do cricket matches really last for days? I remember reading that somewhere and thinking, "My god yes, that would be duller than baseball!"

Your description of the cricket commentary makes me think of Douglas Adams' imitation in one of the Hitchiker books. Big Grin

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I think many of us are missing the point. No one is trying to change anyone's opinion or taste preference regarding beer or anything else for that matter. R.E. and I agree that Budweiser, like most American beers, is a thin swill made monstrously popular by way of a phenomenally successful advertizing campaign. I strongly believe that, on the whole, German beers beat their British counterparts nine ways to Sunday but, not considering myself in any way an expert, once I expressed this opinion I generally have kept it to myself.

And that's the point. The "Blah, blah, blah etc" is just a way of saying, "My God, R.E., we've heard it all before! You don't like Budweiser. We get it!

I can completely imagine the following conversation actually taking place:

(Ding-dong!)

(R.E. answers his door to find Britney Spears, hands on hips, completely naked in his doorway.)

Britney: "R.E., I love you! I need you! I must have you! Take me! Take me now!!"

R.E.: "Have I told you how much I dislike Budweiser?"

It's not that R.E.'s tastes (or anyone's tastes) are right, wrong, or better than anyone else's. It's the Johnny-One-Note nature of this subject being dredged into thread after thread after unrelated thread that grates.

(This, I swear, will be the last post on this subject that I waste time on. I don't want to be guilty of the same thing I criticize.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And, my point was that all of us have our idiosyncracies on this board. 'Tis the truth. When I was trying to come up with a similar passion for others, I chose my own blindspot to avoid embarrassing others. However, I quickly came up with examples from at least 6 people here. Richard's beer passion isn't the only one, and, frankly, this board wouldn't be nearly so fun without people who had strong opinions!

posted Hide Post
quote:
frankly, this board wouldn't be nearly so fun without people who had strong opinions!

cheers kalleh, i raise a pint of molson canadian to you!!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do cricket matches really last for days?
They do. Test matches (matches between two countries) last for five days. Other first-class matches (top-class matches that are not internationals, such as county matches in England and state matches in Australia) generally last for three or four days.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
not so different from golf tournaments, then.

posted Hide Post
The last time that happened I suggested we had a drink first since she was surely catching her death. What happened next I can safely leave to your imagination.

And I am happy to discuss beer with anyone and will debate the merits and demerits of beers with those who have tried those under discussion.

I have drunk all the beers about which I speak and can argue from a position of knowledge. I would be happy to debate the matter with those who share this advantage; those who have not, could not thus debate.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do cricket matches really last for days?
--------------------------------------------------

They do. Test matches (matches between two countries) last for five days. Other first-class matches (top-class matches that are not internationals, such as county matches in England and state matches in Australia) generally last for three or four days.

Who has time to watch three or four days of a game? Of course, as Lori pointed out there is <ugh> golf.

posted Hide Post
Although I am not one of them, there are many people in England who actually take their holidays (vacations) just to watch a cricket match.

As I have said before, I am not a sports fan (of any sport) but at least cricket is a very civilised and non-violent sport, both on and off the field. I cannot ever recall having heard of incidents of violence between cricket fans but they are very common between rival football (soccer) fans - on the field, on the terraces and in the streets.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, folks, the Cubs have beaten the Atlanta Braves in 5 games! They won tonight 5-1 in a wonderfully exciting game.

Remember, I said every post would have "beer" in it if the Cubs won. Well, to do that, I am adding a signature to my posts, at least for awhile (I will probably get sick of it!)

I love Fuller's 1845 beer...and the Cubs!

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sun Oct 5th, 2003 at 21:31.]

Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, it was a GREAT game!

Amazing how many Cubs fans there were in Atlanta. And how satisfying to have a strikeout as the final out!

I don't even DRINK beer, and I'm tempted to post about beer!!

posted Hide Post
It is a sad but true fact that most of those who "don't like beer and therefore don't drink it..." have never had the opportunity to drink good beer.

Try some and you may change your mind.

Richard English

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Someone (George Kaufman, I think) once counselled his son: "Try everything in life except folk dancing and incest."

Very true. Try everything, including a wide variety of beers, and don't be afraid to experiment with the unusual.

There is a chili cook-off here in this area which the locals take very seriously but, oddly, most of the chilis (if that's the correct pluralization) seem pretty much the same. Tasty enough but nothing with any pizzazz. I'm thinking of entering next year's event with something out of the ordinary. Chili with little marshmallows, maybe? Or some sort of ground beef/pinto bean/hot fudge concoction, perhaps.

A favorite limerick applicable here:

There once was a man who said "Why
"Can't I look in my ear with my eye?
"I'm sure I could do it
"If I put my mind to it.
"You never can tell till you try!!"

When reciting this little beauty (not my own, alas) in the past, I've held up a pair of mirrors (when coming to the punchline) in such a way that shows that it IS, in fact, possible to "look in my ear with my eye," albeit not directly. Great moral there, though.

Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a sad but true fact that most of those who "don't like beer and therefore don't drink it..." have never had the opportunity to drink good beer.

Now, how did I know you were going to say that? R.E., I'm beginning to think you subscribe to all posts with the word "beer" in it.....

Picture of LoriL
posted Hide Post
A few of the baseball fans around my office were discussing the Cubbies games this weekend, and we noticed something that is different than every other baseball game we've seen televised: The Cubbies don't cut to commercial for the 7th inning stretch. I notice also that some locally important person leads the singing, but is there another reason that the telecast includes this?

Not sure if you knew the answer, but thought it worth asking.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoriL:
A few of the baseball fans around my office were discussing the Cubbies games this weekend, and we noticed something that is different than every other baseball game we've seen televised: The Cubbies don't cut to commercial for the 7th inning stretch. I notice also that some locally important person leads the singing, but is there another reason that the telecast includes this?

Not sure if you knew the answer, but thought it worth asking.

We speak the same language and yet apart from realising that you were asking a question I found that post almost entirely meaningless.

Confused

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Lori, that is such a good question. Bob, I am not sure what part you don't understand, unless it is the 7th inning stretch. Baseball has 9 innings, and traditionally in the 7th inning there is a short break where fans stand up and stretch. It is, I guess, similar to the half in soccer--though much shorter.

Now to Lori's question: The Cubs had a very engaging and lovable broadcaster whom all of Chicago loved. During that 7th inning stretch, he would sing, during home games, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" to the whole crowd. When he died a few years ago, the owners of the Cubs decided to ask prominent people to sing the song during the 7th inning stretch. It has been wildly successful, and they have had a variety of people, from the governor to Bill Murray. I tried to find a list of the singers on the Internet, but was unable to.

The Cubs played game 5 of the Atlanta series on Yom Kippur, the most holy of Jewish holidays. It was quite frustrating to many Jews! However, my daughter figured out the dilemma quickly. She had someone call her cell phone (put on vibration, of course), and send her a text message with the score as soon as the game was over. As she walked out of the synagogue, she knew that the Cubs had won and what the score was!

posted Hide Post
So did I.

I know that baseball is similar to the game of rounders that we used to play at school but apart from that I know nothing at all about it as a sport.

I do believe, though, that those strange hats that are commonly worn back to front by some youngsters have something to do with the game.

I occurs to me, though, that some of those reading this post may not understand the simple rules of that essentially English sport, cricket. So, for their benefit, I am paraphrasing them below:

You have two sides: One out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When both sides have been in and out including the not outs, that's the end of the game.

Obviously this description does not include the specialist terms but these are quite self-explanatory.

Expressions like: silly mid-off; square leg, yorker and googly are, surely, so well known as to need no explanation.

Richard English

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
During that 7th inning stretch,
---------------------------------------
What's that? Does everybody stand up and do yoga?

Cubs? Oh, you mean Cub Cadet garden tractors? I didn't know they were made in Chicago.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, woe is me for starting this thread! Eek

Who'd have thunk it....from men no less?!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Due to popular demand I am deleting the tagline from my posts. Sorry about that, Cubs, and I do hope this won't jinx you in the World Series! Wink

P.S. I know you all really know a bit more than you are letting on about baseball. Snopes may be able to put one over me, but you can't! Razz

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
P.S. I know you all _really_ know a bit more than you are letting on about baseball. Snopes may be able to put one over me, but you can't! Razz

Actually we may know even less than we are letting on. While American Football enjoyed a brief popularity over here so that I'm familiar with the terms and can even recognise a fair number of official's signals baseball has never been anything but the most minority of minority interests.
One TV channel tried to show some once but it proved so unpopular ((the post midnight time slot may have contributed to that) that it was an experiment never repeated.

So while in American Football I know what "clipping", "encroachment", "lateral", "safety" and "special teams" all mean, I have more or less zero idea of similar specialised terminology in baseball.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That and a dollar fifty will get you on the CTA. Wink [Sorry, that's a Chicago saying; Shufitz will have to explain it!]

Heck, we all know about soccer, though perhaps less about cricket and rugby.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, perhaps this is our sports thread!

While I like baseball (at least when the Cubs are winning), I really know very little about football:

Tonight my son was watching a football game. I said, "I didn't know the colleges played the Europeans." My son looked at me as though I was crazy. Then he looked at the TV, saw the names of the teams playing (UK versus S Car), sighed and said, "Mom, that's the University of Kentucky, not the United Kingdom!"

I think this site has affected me! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can get a sixpack of Corona for about $7.00 while a single Wychwood brewed beer is $3.68 a bottle!
One thing that amazed me was that Fuller's 1845 and Budweiser, in the U.S., are about the same in price. Remember, Fuller's 1845 is in a pint, while Bud is not. Now, granted, the Fuller's is a bit more, but the amount is insignificant.

Perhaps some people really do prefer the taste of Budweiser to Fuller's, rather than just buying it because it is cheap. After all, some people actually like spam. It tastes like salted rubbery fat to me!

posted Hide Post
I have just spent all afternoon in a Fuller's pub near Knightsbridge following a graduation luncheon for some travel students (who insisted on buying beer for me).

When it was my round I bought bottles of 1845 (which none of the company, even the hardened beer drinkers) had tried.

It was so gratifying to hear the comments and compliments from the recipients, at least one of whom said that she would now place a regular order at her local beer shop!

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The curse is still here.

They have lost, after being up 3 games to 1, to the Florida Marlins.

It all started when a fan interfered with a ball yesterday; it was downhill after that. 'Tis a sad night in Chicago.

I know; it's only sports. As we have said in Chicago for as long as I have been here, there's always next year!

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Thu Oct 16th, 2003 at 8:31.]

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
... to get this subject off the main index page of the board. Frown Mad Frown Mad Frown Mad Frown

Posts: 2603 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post