Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    IMPORTANT - Email verification to be introduced
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMPORTANT - Email verification to be introduced Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Members will have noticed several strange, even gnomic, posts from new members over the past few weeks. Most seem to originate from email and/or IP addresses known to have posted forum spam.

The admins have therefore decided on the implementation of the option for email addresses to be verified before a new member can post.

The new system won't be introduced for a week, but in the meantime, please check that your email address shown in your profile is current.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, arnie.

A note to our regular members: If you notice from the Wordcraft Community link, we have a lot of new members who are spammers. They tend to be names with numbers after them, such as Kalleh10. Their posts will be totally irrelevant to the thread. If you find any of these irrelevant posts, please contact one of our administrators (me, arnie, zmj, or Wordcrafter), and we'll take care of it.

Thanks for helping us keep this forum active and spam-free.

Posts: 23309 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Now that email verification has been turned on, when you visit the site you should see this message:
quote:

Please note that your membership is not yet active for the following reason(s):
-- Email Verification: please verify your account email address. We sent you an email* with a link that you need to click in order to confirm your address. Until you click that link, your membership will not be valid.

If you would like to have this email sent again, please click here.

Until the conditions above are satisfied, you will only have access to our community as a guest.
Make sure that you click on the link to get the email, then click on the link in the email to verify your address.

* To clarify: No email was actually sent to existing members, but you will need to ask for it to be sent "again". From now on, new members will get an email sent automatically.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm probably the only one here who got completely lost trying to follow these instructions. It took three prompts from Arnie in a side email for me to find and actually use the " click here " link in the original error message.

To anyone else out there who suffers from Error Message Blindness (the tendency to see only the word "error" and skip the rest) my advice to you is to read the entire message, word for word.

Wordmatic the Dense

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wordmatic the Dense, you have company! It took me three tries too!

Geoff the Clueless

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4454 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I don't understand. Mine was C.O.D. and came from Nigeria.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6006 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I think it's because I expect that any error message will be written in gibberish that I don't understand, so I skip the details and just assume it means "this door is closed."

Glad I'm not alone.

Proof, you must have some excellent friends in Nigeria!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, this is what happened to me. I was writing a post, a rather long and thoughtful one unfortunately, and when I clicked Post Now, it took me to the message to verify my email address. I clicked the link and did that, but then lost my entire post.

Does that sound plausible (even though it really did happen!)?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you were on the forums at the same time as the email notification was turned on, Kalleh.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
What a bummer, Kalleh! that happens to me on any forum or mail system where I'm forced to navigate away from the page. Certain systems let me retrieve what I wrote by backing up to previous pages (I think I'm able to do that on yahoo groups).

A word to the virtually impaired (I plead visual distractability): I have often had to receive map-like blow-by-blow instructions to find a link (see the yellow sun/ blue sky logo? move to left of the sun one inch... see where it says "my groups" in what looks like sky-writing? etc)

This time my über-logic informed me NOT to click where it said "click here" because I checked email, refreshed it, & saw I'd received no such notice-- so I naturally figured that clicking here would result in more non-emails... good thing you all spelled it out LOL Wink

Posts: 2050 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Why, arnie, does it say that our newest member is Geoff, but that's all? I have always used that list to welcome new members. Will that list change with this email verification system?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Geoff is the only new member to have verified his address. I don't know what the definition is of "new", but everybody else who joined recently, spammer or real person, hasn't yet come back.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I don't seem to have received any request for verification - even though I am now logging on via a different browser. So I've not verified my address.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It sounds as if you're lucky, Richard. I don't know why you didn't get affected, but I wouldn't complain. Smile Admins can set email addresses to verified or unverified if they wish; it is possible that at some time in the past your address was set to verified accidentally if you were having some other difficulties with your account. I can always turn off your verification if you're feeling left out. Big Grin

BTW, it makes no difference which browser you use.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I might as well mention that if your email address was set to an old one and you did not change it before verification was turned on, you can PM one of the admins and we can set it internally.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Ummm... if you need email verification and can't enter other than as a guest you won't be able to access PMs. Wink

If you don't know the email address of an admin, I suggest you use the Contact us link at the foot of every page.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
if you need email verification and can't enter other than as a guest you won't be able to access PMs

Yeah, I guess I meant contact an admin via regular email, but I think those who want in have gotten in.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am bummed by our paltry new member page! I had been so busy in recent days that I was behind in my welcomes, though many of them were spammers, I am sure.