Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Community    Announcement of (possibly lengthy) absense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Announcement of (possibly lengthy) absense Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
The time for my move to Xianyang is getting very close. Only about a week away now! This means that in a couple of days I will lose my computer access until we can get it all reestablished up in my new apartment. Each time I've had to move before - even just a couple of streets - it's taken them about a month to restore all of my computer access. So, I may disappear very soon and not be back for a while. In the meantime I will continue posting until the day they take my computer away.

Posts: 7854 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Update - I will be flying on 30th so probably no computer access from 29th for about a month.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shoot! We will miss you, Bob.

Posts: 23277 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
45 hours to go.

Don't worry. I WILL be back.

As soon as I can.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob introduced Ken and me to WeChat, which apparently is used all over China. We met some people from Shanghai while we were in Springfield last week, and we're not communicating via WeChat. It is excellent as it automatically translates for you. They write to us in Chinese. Do any of the rest of you use it?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
... and we're not communicating via WeChat.

I'm not communicating via WeChat, too. Or via Morse code. Or mental telepathy.

Posts: 2767 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm sure PG Wodehouse had a poem about a proofreader who changed his "now" to "not".

And turns out I don't have to be absent as there is already a computer at my new apartment AND I managed to download Astrill onto it!

posted Hide Post
What is Astrill?

Does this mean you posted a limerick for Sterling?

Posts: 4430 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
When you live in China there is this thing called "The Great Firewall of China" which blocks a lot - and I do mean a lot - of the internet including anything at all connected in any way with Google as well as ALL western blogging platforms and Facebook.

A VPN makes you computer look as if it is in a different country so that you can access everything on the internet. As a side effect it also lets me watch the BBC. Big Grin

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
A VPN makes you computer look as if it is in a different country so that you can access everything on the internet. As a side effect it also lets me watch the BBC.

Isn't rather stupid? Why bother banning sites if there's a work-around.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5987 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Same thing in health care, proof. We have all these expensive protections for patient safety, but the workarounds are quicker, and of course much less safer.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:
A VPN makes you computer look as if it is in a different country so that you can access everything on the internet. As a side effect it also lets me watch the BBC.

Isn't rather stupid? Why bother banning sites if there's a work-around.

Because having a VPN is also illegal in China though in general they don't do much about it. Every now and then they have a crackdown and find ways to block the VPNs followed shortly by the VPN companies finding a way around the block. Also not many Chinese have VPNs and so they don't have access to world news. Most foreign workers use them because it's hard to function internationally without them.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
If I travel for business, I am supposed to use VPN to access my work files. That would be rough.

I may be going to Singapore in the next couple of years. I assume I could access VPN there.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, Kalleh. When I worked from home on occasion I'd use VPN to access the main server. We had a lot of people who regularly worked from home or hotel rooms so supplying everyone with a laptop made sense.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10925 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post