Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryoseisms Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Fun words are appearing because of this polar vortex we are experiencing in the midwest and more specifically Chicago (fondly referred to as "Chiberia").

Another word that has been in the news, and one I've not heard of previously, is cryoseisms . Have you heard of them? They are sonic boom-like sounds that occur from water going into the ground and quickly freezing and expanding, thus creating mini explosions and generally startling people.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've heard a few here of late. I didn't realize they were of seismic origin - I though Sue had forgotten her antacid.

Antacid? Hmmmm... Ants produce formic acid, from their Latin name, formica. Now why would people ingest formic acid? It's used in the production of synthetic counter top material, hence the brand name, Formica, and one does not eat it.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Antacid is what my uncle had to contend with.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I would love to hear what they sound like.

<Proofreader>
posted
Michael Quinlon pointed out that the term is, around here, frost quakes. I don't think they occur too often in my neighborhood since we seldom get cold enough for the ground to freeze in depth. However, I know there have been many occasions when my wife subjected me to a variation of a frosty experience.

Slightly off-topic, this morning the anchor on the local news reported that a "condom valued at $3M had burned to the ground." I hope the owner got it off in time.

Perhaps he might be interested in a newspaper headline "Doctors make new joint study." Don't we already know everything there is to know about them?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've tried to find the sound of them on the Internet, but so far have failed. A couple of YouTube videos claimed to have them, but these were videos on frozen lakes and that sound was just settling of the ice. I did read, however, that they have occurred all over, from Canada to Vermont to Wisconsin - yet they are quite rare.