Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Is this gibberish?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this gibberish? Login/Join

posted
I read this in the science section of Google News: Fifteen percent of humans and chimp DNA is closer to that to gorillas than to each other, a new study finds

I can't make heads or tails of what it's trying to tell me. Can anyone???

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think it's trying to say that human DNA and Chimp DNA are more closely related to Gorilla DNA than to each other but ham-fisted use of statistics essentially means that the sentence either

a) means this
b) means the opposite
c) means something else entirely
or d) means that the journalist is 15% Chimpanzee which accounts for the writing style.*

*Chimpanzee are notoriously lax when it comes to mathematical rigour.**

** In case you doubt my qualifications to make this assertion let me remind you that I am maths graduate and many of my fellow students were far more than 15% Chimp.***

***At least when judged on their eating habits.****

****Judged on their mating habits they were 100% bonobo.*****

***** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great stuff, Bob! I didn't need to click the link, as I was already aware of bonobo social structure. I quite like it myself - AND it's matriarchal, so no "sexism" accusations regarding their copulatory proclivities! Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Speaking of not making heads or tails of something, we received an article from two nursing faculty members for one of our newsletters today. Our editor and I practically had to rewrite the whole thing, then sent it back to them, and they added a very confusing paragraph that started like this: Confused
quote:
As a board of nursing we value the approach of education and support; lesser the punitive approach.
I loved "lesser the punitive approach."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This from the Muncie, Indiana Craigslist, under farm and garden equipment: "I am selling a rare tin tiller cheap for only $300 or best offer."
It is indeed rare that one tills tin. Not so rare is a rear tine tiller for tilling gardens. Maybe this guy grows pots?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow...$300 cheap? I suppose it's all relevant, but somehow "cheap" doesn't work for me here.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post