Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Ham-handed challenges
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ham-handed challenges Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read an article that mentioned a ball player's "ham-handed challenges" to his team. I hadn't heard the term before, but I am sure many of you have? One definition was "clumsy" or "inept," both of which fit. Apparently "hamfistedness" is chiefly British.

Do you use the phrase?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've only ever come across "ham-fisted" before. It's fairly common here.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, does it mean "inept?" I don't see what "ham" has to do with ineptness or clumsiness, I guess.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's only a guess but I'd guess that it refers to your hands being as big and as manoevreable as a ham.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob. The phrase is rather more recent than I'd imagined, though. According to the Online Etymology Dictionary
quote:
Ham-fisted (1928) was originally in reference to pilots who were heavy on the controls, as was ham-handed (by 1918).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We of course use "ham" to denote overacting in theatre, but I've not heard it used as "ham-handed." That origin makes sense, Bob.

<Proofreader>
posted
I believe ham-handed derives from the duties of Hormel meat packers.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post