Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Is Facebook too self-promoting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Facebook too self-promoting? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Meghan Daum wrote a good article on the self promotion aspect of Facebook. I hadn't thought about it before, but I so agree with her.
quote:
There's the travel brag, in which someone in an exotic locale mentions his whereabouts with a casualness that lets everyone know it's so not a big deal. "Can anyone recommend a bar in the Maroseyka district section of Moscow? My old haunt is closed!" (A corollary is sharing a travel itinerary by way of nothing more than coy airport codes — LAX-NRT, JFK-PRG — because your life is such a whirlwind of globe-trotting that you barely have time to spell out your coordinates before the airplane wheels leave the tarmac.)
Isn't it the truth?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since its inception I've felt that Facebook was really about the opposite end of the spine from the face.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
One of the first apps on FB that I enjoyed, installed, and used was one that mapped all the countries you've been to on a huge world map. Lots of fun. I've never quite understood the animosity to FB. I use it mainly now for tracking peoples' birthdays.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
My advice to columnists who decry the remarks on their "news feed": block a few of those so-called friends. My feed is restricted to actual friends & relatives, most of whom I don't get to see often. We exchange news, photos, & trivia that helps us stay in touch.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
When I started on FB I signed up to play a Zynga online game, which more or less demanded I be FB 'friends' with all sorts of people, to most of whom I wouldn't give the time of day normally. I realise that sounds snobby, but it meant that my feed was filled with all sorts of drivel.

Since coming to my senses and giving up playing the game I tend to ignore my main feed and concentrate on the lists I've created of family and 'real friends'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oh, horrors! I use a FB link to do my favorite word game (JustWords at games.com), fortunately, no friending required. On the other hand, these things can easily go wrong. A new singing pal insisted I friend her to watch a video of our singing group. The link didn't work, & I am finding she posts racist sort of jokes, yecch.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I only use Facebook in a very limited way, so my opinion should be taken lightly. However, I also only use Facebook for relatives and friends, and I can kinda see what she means. It's not a big deal for me, though, since I hardly use Facebook.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post