Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    The Gay S & R agenda?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gay S & R agenda? Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
LanguageLog has a very amusing post about the perils of the use of Search and Replace.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very funny.

I ran into a similar problem back in the infancy of search and replace. A complex loan agreement (100 plus pages) was being modified to reflect that the lender was not a Bank, but a Credit Union. The term Lender was chosen to replace Bank, with the result that one of the Events of Default became "declaring Lenderruptcy". The agreement went through several drafts before anyone noticed it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, arnie. Big Grin

Oh, there was a great one that happened at our workplace. Unfortunately I can't be specific, but fixing it cost thousands of dollars.

I try very hard not to use "search and replace" for just that reason.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I use search and replace a lot at work, but I almost never just have it go off and replace all occurrences, but do them one at a time, so I can review what's being change. (Instead of Change All, I use Change and Find Next.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's the way to do it. In our document the "search and replace" replaced something that was a header on every single page, making quite an embarrassing change.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Aw, come'on, Kalleh, not even a little hint, huh, huh?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
My computer doesn't seem to have Search and Replace. It has Search and Destroy. It's supposed to be an anti-virus program. Is that why people who receive e-mails from me think I'm a bit odd? Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that why people who receive e-mails from me think I'm a bit odd?

No, we know you're odd for myriad other reasons.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post