Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Syntax question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Syntax question Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was reading the "severe" weather report for our area and found this wording awkward:
quote:
...likely worse than what was experienced with the late September storm.
Were I to write that sentence, I'd not use the "what." What does the "what" add to that sentence? Or is it just a matter of style?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What does the "what" add to that sentence? Or is it just a matter of style?

That's funny, it's not the "what" I find distracting, but the "with". Experience, for me, is a transitive verb. It would be good to see the whole sentence,

"... likely worse than the storm we experienced late last September."

With the sentence as you quoted it, it just seems awkward what with the passive voice and the "with". I sure others will have different complaints.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
OK,. I did what I should've done first, googled it.

quote:
Impacts ... large and battering waves will result in flooding of areas near the lake ... likely worse than what was experienced with the late september storm.

So the antecedent for "what" is "flooding of areas near the lake". So, now I'll rewrite the sentence:

"Impacts: large and battering waves may result in the flooding of areas near the lake, which is likely to be worse than that which was experienced late last September."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, that's much better.

It came up on one of my apps, and now it's not there so it's a good thing you found it.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
still too wordy for weather reporting IMO. I like, "may result in the flooding of areas near the lake, likely worse than that experienced late last September."

ah we are all editors at heart

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Or, simply, "If you can't swim, RUN!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I mostly wondered about that use of "what." I'd seen it before, but I've never liked using it that way.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
...likely worse than the late September floods.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post