Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

#fedidwgugl Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Apparently the election campaign of Angela Merkel is a bit boring Indeed, the hashtag for her campaign is #fedidwgugl, which means "for a Germany in which we live well and happily."

That is one problem we don't have here in the U.S. - it certainly isn't politicially boring around here. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Why do they use the English term, "hashtag?" Can't they think of a nice twenty-seven letter word of their own? And how did "hashtag" usurp the other meanings of the symbol that used to mean "number" and sometimes still does mean "pound?"

Doesn't "hashtag" in German mean "bad word day?"

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Hashtag" isn't a word for the # symbol, it's a word for a tag proceeded by the # symbol.

<Proofreader>
posted
˙pǝddıןɟ ʇsnظ pןɹoʍ ǝɹıʇuǝ ǝɥʇ ¿pǝuǝddɐɥ ʇɐɥʍ

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wish I could read your link, Goofy.

I have wondered about that "hashtag" word, too, Geoff. Interesting increase in the use of the word (click the arrow).

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Well, some of us call a # an octothorpe. Hash for the sharp-sign glyph comes from Unix, IIRC.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So - I am a bit behind the times. I just put Goofy's link into Google Translate and came up with:

Claus Junghanns has written Internet and campaign history, at least a bit. The CDU politician from Frankfurt on the Oder is the first to use Twitter on his own hashtag #fedidwgugl, he is the hashtag pioneer of the Union. For the fact that #fedidwgugl has something to do with the Christian Democrats was made clear by the local announcement: Konrad-Adenauer-Haus, the political switch and power center of the CDU in the capital.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Why do they use the English term, "hashtag?" Can't they think of a nice twenty-seven letter word of their own? And how did "hashtag" usurp the other meanings of the symbol that used to mean "number" and sometimes still does mean "pound?"

Doesn't "hashtag" in German mean "bad word day?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

It so happens that I have found myself going slightly deaf lately. Not seriously, but enough to miss the occasional word. Next time I go to the doctor for a checkup I'll mention it. I turned on text captions when watching TV.

I noticed that, when indicating the lyrics of a song, the captions use two symbols: the UK Pound (£) sign and the hash (#) sign. I've theorised that (at least) two companies or people wrote the captions; when they asked how to indicate the music they were told "Use a pound sign"

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I have found myself going slightly deaf lately.

I'm not a doctor (though I have seen one on TV) but I had the same problem occasionally over many years. Invariably it was impacted ear wax. The odd thing is it was always my right ear and never the left.

posted Hide Post
I'm going deaf too, but there is no wax in the canals. I meticulously clean them with my Water Pick when I brush my teeth.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I meticulously clean them with my Water Pick when I brush my teeth.

I prefer a Dremel tool.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The only really efficient way is to thread a towel into one ear and out of the other and pull it back and forth vigourously.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't that damage one's corpus callosum?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Invariably it was impacted ear wax.

I bought some olive oil drops from the pharmacist but they didn't seem to make any difference.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much typical old-age deafness has altered language over the years? Mondegreens originate from mis-hearing things, so it might be a heretofore unnoticed factor.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It really is amazing the different journeys these threads take. Wink

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
RE: deafness: I didn't know my biological father well (he & my Mom divorced when I was 9 mos old & my adoptive Dad started dating my Mom when I was 2y.o.)-- but got to know him a bit later on & started worrying when I saw that in 70's he was wearing 2 hearing aids Eek Also my Mom suffered from that other sort of hearing impairment, where background noise (even a low-speed fan) makes it hard to hear...

My kids all studied audio engrg. A good 15 yrs ago (when I was still in my early '50's), I remember my eldest correcting me & noting: 'you're missing the sound of the initial consonant, that's the first sign!'

Today when we go thro Greetings songs in Spanish PreK, I can't tell the diff between "Me llamo Zack" & "Me llamo Jack"! Thank god for teachers nearby when I'm trying to parse Kensie vs Kelsie, or Keenas vs Keanu or Grayson vs Gracie or Harrison vs Harry vs Hudson etc ad nauseum idiosyncratic names...

It mever ceases to amaze me how pitches & rhythm-- music-- are not susceptible to this frailty.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I read an article recently that said young kids are having hearing losses at an alarming level. I can't find that article, but I did find this online site about it. I've wondered about all those ear buds I see, particularly when I can hear their songs loudly, and they are wearing them!