Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    "If not now, when?....."
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"If not now, when?....." Login/Join

posted
these words were taped on the bathroom mirror of a guy i dated just out of college. there was something sort of BUNDY about him, even though he was a life-long friend of my bud Jim. i thought about those words over and over, and i decided not to see him anymore.

"I think I'll kill her now.If not now, when?..." huh, ladies? we have to entertain ideas like this, don't we? just to stay alive. it's sad. however, the last time i saw him, he told me he'd been dating a girl in the ski club and she had broken up with him. he said he sat at work, dreaming up ways to get revenge. so there you are.

what i want to know is, is this a famous line from literature? it came to my mind because i saw a very funny comic on tv. he said "i'm way too romantic. every time i start going out with a new girl, i start all over again thinking "this is the one!" the audience nods agreeably. "this is the one i'm going to kill". hey, you have to laugh, you know?

Posts: 166 | Location: pointssouth, u.s.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going by dim recollection, I think Robert Kennedy's slogan during his run for the presidential nomination was:
quote:
If not now, when?
If not you, who?

Does this perhaps suggest a source for the very different use of the phrase, as wfc noted?

posted Hide Post
this is cracking me up. it goes right along with the eric IS Bundy theme. "I'm going to kill you. If not you, who?"

i know i have a macabre sense of humour. i get it from my dad. he loved The Far Side comics. the last joke i told him was the one of the worm, sitting at table, with a mound of dirt on the table and he's eating with a fork. but he goes "oh, gross! there's a hair!" my dad thought that was funny and he really laughed. the next day he was out of his mind and after 2 days of being incoherent, he died.

however, the morning of the night he died, i wheeled him out to the den and he looked out the big glass doors. the white cat looked in at him. they hated each other. my dad looked right at the cat who was glaring at him and said "Hello, F*ckface!" I told this to the family at the viewing and my brother-in-law and my cousin almost had a heartattack laughing. "That was Gene!", my brother-in-law said. a black irishman with a black sense of humour, that was my Dad!

Posts: 166 | Location: pointssouth, u.s.Reply With QuoteReport This Post