Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    The Death of the English Language
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Death of the English Language Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
And while we're on the subject of prescriptivism, here's an obit for the English language which ran in the Washington Post. It may be full of pesky little prescriptions for proper grammar, punctuation and spelling, but I still thought it was funny.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, despite my prescriptivist leanings, got a good chuckle too!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, quite good! It was a good week for me to read it, too, what with our grammar course and all (in another thread).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, I mentioned this in the Newpaper articles of interest - Part II thread a couple of days ago. To quote Anthony Incognito, "Between you and I, I could care less".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post