Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Hypothesis vs theory
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hypothesis vs theory Login/Join

posted
There is frequent confusion about these two words. To a scientist, a hypothesis is a statement put forth so that it can be proven or disproven by evidence. Depending on the evidence, it is either accepted or rejected. (Technical peoople will declare a degree of certainty.) The Wright brothers made a hypothesis that a heavier-than-air machine could fly. They experimented and flew a plane, and thus accepted the hypothesis.
A theory, on the other hand, uses available evidence to try to explain somethng. It keeps re-evaluating the subject based on new evidence (evidnece is fact),and filling in the blanks with speculation (which is interpretation of the facts.) Thus, aviation theoryspeaks of Bernoulli's law, lift, acceleration, gravity, thrust, etc.
The hypothesis has been proven, but the theory is constantly being modulated in the face of new evidence.
I have no religious agenda here. I just don't like to see words twisted.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Since heavier than air flight was clearly possible (birds and bats have been doing it for years) I suggest that Wrights' was not a hypothesis by your definition.

The hypothesis would be a suggested explanation as to why heavier than air flight is possible and then the hypothetical ideas can then be checked by experiment or observation.

Many of the physical theories about flight had been formulated well before the Wrights, notably by Sir George Cayley who first postulated the theory of the triangle of forces, still the basis for all aeronautical flight.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked a question in the other forums I belong to because I had listened to a BBC radio programme about Poincare's Conjecture and a drama about Paul Wolfskehl who inaugurated the prize for solving Fermat's Last Theorem.

I wanted to know the difference between a theorem and a conjecture and got the answer here. From the last reply in that thread, I also discovered there's a distinct difference between a theorEM and a theorY.