Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Famous faux phrases
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Famous faux phrases Login/Join

posted
http://www.npr.org/templates/s...hp?storyId=125169095

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obama may have been aiming for the same level of modesty when he quoted the line about being bound neither to win nor succeed. But the first-person singular undercut the effect: He said "I" five times in two sentences.

What's with this counting Obama's first person pronouns.

<Proofreader>
posted
Just political gamesmanship

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, who did say "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time." The article Geoff linked to said Lincoln didn't say it, but all the online sources I've checked said he did.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not me - I didn't say it! Big Grin I said you can fool enough of the people enough of the time to get away with being a politician or a preacher.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
One quote is always attributed to Edmond Burke, and I used to use it in my presentations. However, Shu told me that they've never actually been able to find it in any of his writings: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I think it happens all the time. Most likely the author himself has done it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
you cannot fool all of the people all the time

It was attributed to Lincoln some 50 years after he was supposed to have said it (link). (Unfortunately I was unable to read the footnote.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Certainly fooled Obama.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post