Wordcraft Community Home Page
Morph

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/1830028686

May 02, 2017, 20:30
Kalleh
Morph
What is your definition of morph? Can a baby morph into a toddler?
May 03, 2017, 04:59
Geoff
Without looking it up, I think morph has two origins, but you're speaking of the one meaning, "form." I see nothing wrong wish using the term as you have done. As for the other origin, babies and toddlers are at their best when Morpheus visits them! Wink
May 03, 2017, 05:37
BobHale
Maybe, though I wouldn't use it that way. I think of Morph being a rather faster process.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
May 03, 2017, 10:05
arnie
I'd say Kalleh's example works OK if the child is not yours and you haven't seen them for a while.

"My, how you've grown! Last time I saw you you were just a baby!" (To parents) "They grow up so fast!"

I don't think anyone would talk of a baby morphing into a toddler in front of their eyes.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
May 03, 2017, 20:52
Kalleh
quote:
I see nothing wrong wish using the term as you have done.
For the record, someone else used that term (about my sweet grandchild), and I thought it was wrong - or, at least, like Bob, I'd not use it that way. I thought the definition was more like this.
May 04, 2017, 05:27
Geoff
More like metamorphosis? Still, "morph" is contained therein.
May 07, 2017, 20:03
Kalleh
It just sounded odd to me. Babies don't go through metamorphosis when they grow.