Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Dark Origins of Nursery Rhymes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dark Origins of Nursery Rhymes Login/Join

posted
In another thread, Richard says,
    I read a book some years ago which gave an interpretation of most of the old British nursery rhymes. It was interesting how many of them (if the author is to be believed) originally had a far from innocent origin.
And Kalleh gives one example:
    Little Jack Horner, / Sat in a corner; / Eating a Christmas pie,
    He stuck in his thumb, / And pulled out a plum, / And said, "What a good boy am I"

This refers to a historical fact. Jack Horner was a messenger entrusted to deliver a bundle of deeds to church property that Henry VIII had seized. Such a collection of items was called a 'pie'. He stole one of them, and did not get caught. The property is still in the possession of his descendants.
In the imortal words of Oliver Twist, "Please, sir, can I have some more [examples]?"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Ring around the rosey is supposed to be about death during the bubonic plague.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I'd heard about Ring Around the Rosey . . . but not the others. I'm going to do a little book research and get back to this one.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ring around the rosey

Really, jheem? I hadn't known that! How macabre! I am anxious to learn more about these, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to do a little book research and get back to this one.

Start with Iona and Peter Opie. Bruno Bettelheim's The Uses of Enchantment may have been the source of the supposed sexual nature of fairy tales and nursery rhymes.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, I read Bettelheim years ago. That's something I need to look into again. I got a few books on the topic today, but need to work down the stack of "must reads" a bit to get to them. Don't think this is over yet!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, I found the perfect site for this thread. How interesting! They actually say 2 lullabies ('Bye, baby bunting' & 'Bye baby bumpkin') were sung in order to intimidate the child and/or to be used as an outlet for the emotions of the parent or nurse.

Some rhymes had political meanings. Humpty in Humpty Dumpty apparently was King Richard III, and 'Baa, Baa, Black Sheep' was said to have been written to protest against an export tax imposed in 1275 in Britain.

I couldn't find validation of this, but I also have heard that 'A Froggie would a-wooing go...'
is allegedly based on the effort of a French minor prince to have a marriage arranged with a popular British princess...and then getting his efforts scornfully rejected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Reviving a thread...
I heard an excellent program today on NPR where Chris Roberts, author of Heavy Words Lightly Thrown: The Reason Behind the Rhyme, was interviewed. Here is the transcript of the interview, but I couldn't access it from my computer. I hope you can. I believe the author has a new book coming out, again analyzing nursery rhymes, if I heard correctly.

posted Hide Post
I read this recently, which seemed rather apt for this thread.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Sorry, wordnerd, I couldn't bear seeing the typo in the thread title any longer, so I've edited it to correct it. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Arnie.

Yes, Cat, that is exactly what Roberts was saying. I finally was able to access the transcript, and I was wrong; he was referring to the book that he had written, not about a new one. He says that nursery rhymes are about sex, death and cruelty. Ding dong bell; Pussy in the well of course is about a cat that a boy threw into the well. And Goosey Gander refers to sex. In the 16th and 17th century "goose" meant "prostitute."

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Cat, I wish I had read that article before taking my son to see that movie! I didn't read up on it, and Simon was really scared! It was very scary in some parts, I think. That's what I get for not doing my research, I guess.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Which one was the linguist, again? Matt Damon or Heath Ledger?

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Well, Heath Ledger played thge character Jake Grimm, and Jakob Grimm is the brother who formulated Grimm's Law about sound change.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cat, I wish I had read that article before taking my son to see that movie!

That reminds me of when we took our 14-year-old daughter (the lawyer now) to "The Crying Game." It was billed as a great documentary on the IRA, and we thought it would be a wonderful "learning experience."

Well...it was...only not exactly how we'd thought it would be! Red Face