Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    The Late Tim Finnegan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Late Tim Finnegan Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
A song I hadn't thought of for years concerns the Irish wake that followed the death of one Tim Finnegan. Thanks to the wonders of Google, it wasn't hard to find the lyrics.

Question: a few sites claim that this song inspired the title to James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake. Is there any truth to that?

(Further question: The song has the words gob and ruction. Do people actually use those words?)

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Isn't Finnegan's Wake the bow waves he produced while being towed out to sea?

Asa, who'd better shut his gob....

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question: a few sites claim that this song inspired the title to James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake. Is there any truth to that?

I don't know about that, but I do know the Joyce's work, Finnegans Wake, has no apostrophe in its title. I did once hear the explanation for this apparent aberration but can't recollect what it is.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the book Finnegans Wake, or at least its title (no apostrophe there either), was inspired by the Irish song, Finnegan's Wake. A great book and a funny song. I have several versions of the song in MP3 form, from the traditional to the punk. The main character in the book, HCE (which stands for Here Comes Everybody, Howth Castle and Environs, or Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker, an Irish publican) spends most of the novel sleeping and dreaming. The titular character in the song, Tim Finnegan of Walkin' St, spends most of the song unconscious and supposed dead, until, at the height of a row, some whiskey is spilled on his lips and he is resurrected. Arno Schmidt, who is sometimes called the German James Joyce, wrote a massive book called Zettel's Traum (Slip's Dream, er, Slipstream?) where a non-German-orthographical apostrophe is used in the possessive in homage to Joyce's Finnegans Wake.

[Fixed some typos.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Further question: The song has the words gob and ruction. Do people actually use those words?)
Yes to both. Gob is a word of Irish origin, but it's not uncommon as a slang term for the mouth in the rest of the British Isles as well. Sample usage "Shut yer gob!", which is often followed swiftly by a punch in the aforementioned gob.

A ruction is a noisy disturbance, often used in the plural: ructions Example: "Shut yer gob or there'll be ructions".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"Shut yer gob!", which is often followed swiftly by a punch in the aforementioned gob.

And, then, one would say that that person had been gobsmacked. I always thought that gob was simply Russian bog 'god' reversed. (As Dog is my co-pilot!) Is the Bug river somehow related?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the line 'round the floor your trotters shake.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post