Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How exactly? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I still sometimes check the FB group or online copies of my old local newspaper in England - the Express and Star - and today saw this paragraph about a benefits cheat.

quote:
(he) was caught on film walking his dog, lifting a wheelbarrow into a car and moving wheelie bins to swindle almost £20,000.

Just wondering what kind swindle involving moving wheelie bins could net that kind of profit.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whose wheelbarrow, and whose car? Was the dog an accomplice? I suspect the story is a bit muddled. He is likely claiming a physical disability whilst being able to do the cited things. Perhaps the writer needs to claim disability too?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's almost certainly about someone claiming some sort of disability benefit while being perfectly mobile.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Stolen money was swindled from a little old lady and carried away in the whieelie bins?

The fact is, it's probably Geoff's disability story.

What are wheelie bins?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Trashcans on wheels. They are emptied by the local council, usually on a certain day of the week, and are usually wheeled to the edge of the road by the householder ready for collection.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Proofreader>
posted
Don't make fun. There is often a good sum to be made rummaging through trashcans. Ask our former governor.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is amazing, Proof. Your governor apparently grew up in Chicago! Wink

I love the British words for things, like "wheelie bins" or "boots" or "bonnets." You have to admit, they are pretty cute!

We simply call ours "trash cans" or "trunks" or "hoods." How mundane.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I suspect that's the first time wheelie bins have been described as "cute". Cool

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't think they were so cute if you lived where I lived in England. We had a green wheelie bin for recyclables, a brown wheelie bin for garden waste, a black wheelie bin for general household rubbish, a smaller green bin (with a roll of plastic liners) for food waste, a green box for paper and cardboard and another green box for bottles and glass. Every week the householder has to take all of these to the kerb. On some weeks the trash collectors open them to make sure the wrong kind of rubbish isn't in the wrong bin and if it is LEAVE EVERYTHING with a sticker to tell you to resort it for next time.
Other areas sometimes have even more.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We don't have the multiplicity of bins that Bob had. We have one blue one for general recyclables (paper, card, certain plastics, bottles and glass); a green one for garden waste; and a black one for other general rubbish. Our council doesn't seem to be quite so bad regarding the wrong stuff in the wrong bins, either; they'll leave the bin completely if they discover the wrong sort of rubbish in it, with a rude label, but empty the others. They can in theory also fine you if you put out your bins for collection on the wrong day or regularly put stuff in the wrong bins, but I've never heard of it happening here.

<Proofreader>
posted
Several years ago, our local government passed out small boxes to use for paper (green) and cans or bottles (blue). The garbage was left out in cans we had to purchase ourselves. Then they went over to one over-size wheeled black container for garbage (collected each week) and two smaller containers (green and blue) for paper and cans, respectively, which were picked up on alternate weeks. The reason for the change was because the city had bought automated trucks which only needed the driver to pick up and empty the containers. The recyclables were still separated. Suddenly, one day, for a reason never fully articulated, they announced paper and cans could all be put in one bin, which left us with an unused bin sitting in the back yard. Could anyone tell me if it's safe to drink the rainwater we collect in the empty one when we leave the top open? Or should we only use it for the weekly Saturday baths?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Trashcans on wheels. They are emptied by the local council

Our politicians are too lazy. They send a union worker instead.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
You wouldn't think they were so cute if you lived where I lived in England.
Hmmm - I thought you lived in China. Wink

Of course, the "cute" I was talking about were the words the British use, versus our more practical ones.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Hence the second "lived" rather than "live".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I could have sworn you had said "live," but of course you're right.

Is there a word for the situation where you read what you think you are seeing, instead of what you are actually seeing, does anyone know?