Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgivukkah Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
It's so strange that Thanksgiving and Hanukkah are on the same day this year. It's the first time since 1888, and it won't happen again for 70,000 years. Wow! They are calling it Thanksgivukkah , and they're coming up with all sorts of interesting recipes.

For us, I'd just as soon they be separated so we're celebrating Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving and Hanukkah on December 3rd. It would be fun to have some interesing recipes, though, like putting cranberries in your latkes or making pumpkin doughnuts.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm a little puzzled by this. Surely you can't move a festival on a whim?

I understood that Hanukkah starts this year at sunset on Wednesday 27 November (the day before your Thanksgiving holiday), when the first candle is lighted, and continues until nightfall on Thursday 5 December - it lasts for eight days anyway, not just the one.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I'm a little puzzled by this. Surely you can't move a festival on a whim?

According to this, it's done in the UK as a regular practice.

I searched unsuccessfully to find an article I read several weeks ago. Some president in South America declared Christmas would be celebrated several weeks early, apparently so he could give Xmas bonuses before a general election. I wonder why.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Whre does it say that Bank Holiday is moved on a whim? It's held the first Monday in May. Anyway, it's not a religious observance.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Proofreader>
posted
The "whim" would be the decision to move it to the most opportune moment instead of the actual date originally specified.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It isn't a whim, arnie. Hanukkah starts on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may occur at any time from late November to late December in the Gregorian calendar. Why did you think it a "whim?" Hanukkah is a different day each year. It has just never been this early and won't be again for 70,000 years. It made it very special this year.

We had latkes for Thanksgiving. It was fun!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
From your first post:
quote:
we're celebrating Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving and Hanukkah on December 3rd.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hanukkah lasts for 8 days, and you can celebrate it on any of those days. Some celebrate the first night only, others all or some of the 8 nights, and still others the last night. We have chosen December 3rd. The same happens with Passover, which also is 8 nights. Some Passover dinners are on the first night, some on the second night, and matzo will is eaten for all 8 days, instead of flour products.

So, you see, I don't consider it whimsical at all. However, I agree that it's definitely different from the Christian holidays.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
... it's definitely different from the Christian holidays.

All of which are adaptations of earlier holidays. AFAIK, christianity has no original holidays.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The reason we didn't celebrate Hanukkah completely with Thanksgiving (like with dreidels and gifts and Hanukkah gelt and food) is because some of our guests weren't Jewish. Most Jewish families I know celebrated Hanukkah with Thanksgiving.

We did have some latkes, though, with our Thanksgiving. Smile