Wordcraft Community Home Page
Words used in recruitment

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/3070014686

March 22, 2017, 20:31
Kalleh
Words used in recruitment
This is an interesting article about how words affect job recruitment. For example, men are more attracted by words such as "assertive" and "competitive," while women are attracted to "cooperative" or "compassionate."

Of course, I am only and N of 1, but I can't say that would be true of me. What do you think?
March 23, 2017, 06:15
Geoff
They mention "ninja" as one of the male-oriented buzz words. Being a nutcase definitional originalist, I would not think of applying for any job that requested a ninja for its workplace. They want to kill all their other employees? This likely explains why I've never had a high paying job.

Somewhat related is the improper use of such words as "turbo" and "nitro" to imply something other than things that make use of a turbine or that contain nitrogen. The water pump in your car is a turbine; the air we breathe is mainly nitrogen, so what's the big deal? Employers want an aggressive, assertive, turbo-nitro ninja? Yeah, fine... Roll Eyes
March 23, 2017, 08:18
goofy
If you were a real nutcase definitional originalist, then you would object to "nitro-" being used to mean something other than "Containing, combined with, or involving nitre" since that is its earliest meaning. And the earliest meaning of "nitre" is "natron, native sodium carbonate". And the earliest meaning of "turbo" is "whirlwind, tornado".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,
March 23, 2017, 09:32
Geoff
I stand corrected concerning "nitro." Indeed, nitroGEN does make it obvious, but I didn't say so. Thanks.
March 23, 2017, 09:49
goofy
I didn't mean to correct you. I was trying to point out the futility of adhering to original definitions. "Containing, combined with, or involving nitre" is the earliest attested meaning of "nitro-" but it is obsolete.
March 23, 2017, 14:58
Geoff
But you WERE correct! Nitre? Phlogiston? Not much in use these days! At least nitre exists.
Of course, I was trying to satirize the US Supreme Court's members and would-be members who are "originalists." Ah, well, Steven Colbert I'm not. Wink
March 23, 2017, 21:07
Kalleh
I'd not apply for a job calling for a "ninja," mostly because it seems like a juvenile word to me and certainly not very professional.