Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    If I had more time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If I had more time Login/Join

posted
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter

Variously attributed to Ben Franklin, Blaise Pascal, Robert Sayre, Mark Twain. Anyone know for sure who first said it

Thanks all

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Blaise Pascal said Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue parceque je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte "I haven't made this [letter] longer because I haven't had the time to make it shorter."

I've also seen this attributed to Marcus Tullius Cicero and Mark Twain, but almost every good quote is attributed to Mark Twain by someone or other.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I find all this rather hard to believe. Surely if a quote is wise, pithy and memorable it must have come from an Englishman.

Wink

I nominate Churchill - everything else gets attributed to him eventually, why not this.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely if a quote is wise, pithy and memorable it must have come from an Englishman.

Now, Bob, you know who you sound like, don't you? Wink
quote:
but almost every good quote is attributed to Mark Twain by someone or other.

Sheesh, he is rubbing off, isn't he? Wink

Yes, it's from Pascal: Provincial Letters XVI.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely if a quote is wise, pithy and memorable it must have come from an Englishman.
Note that Pascal wrote in French; the original was almost twice as long: I'd like to bet the translator was English. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to bet the translator was English.

You'd like to, but you must be afraid to since you'd probably be wrong. Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Blaise Pascal said Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue parceque je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte "I haven't made this [letter] longer because I haven't had the time to make it shorter."

I was the translator there, so I'd win my bet. Big Grin

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, don't mess with arnie - you're NOT gonna win! Wink Or is that ne pas payer le figure d'arnie?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, Asa. I learned that long ago.

posted Hide Post
It was Voltaire who stated "I would write a shorter letter if I had more time."

Posts: 1 | Location: ChicagoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Welcome to the board! Blaise Pascal wrote Lettres Provinciales in 1656-57. Voltaire lived from 1694-1778. Voltaire may have used the quote, but he certainly didn't originate it. Wink

See Wikipedia's article.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jim, Arnie is our in-house brain.

Welcome to Wordcraft, and how great to have another Chicago attorney here. Shu, you've got some competition now. Wink