Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Mindful practice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mindful practice Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
It's always interesting to hear about the new words being used in my profession. I am at a conference now, and clearly the "word of the day" is mindful. We used to talk about reflective nursing practice, which means that you take the opportunity to reflect, and therefore make improvements, on your practice. Now the terminology is mindful practice. This seems to be more about connecting cognition to the actual practice of patients.

Is it just in nursing that mindful is the word of the day, or are you seeing it used more?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I have seen it used a great deal in connection with yoga practice, and in new-age-y communications in general, for the last few years. Here is a New York Times article from last spring which says it's an ancient meditation practice being applied to present-day psych therapies.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, the word has surely been around. However, it is a new buzzword in nursing. I wonder how buzzwords come about. The old word for this was "reflective" practice.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post