Why would he molest a plea?
August 23, 2016, 11:53
<Proofreader>
quote:
Why would he molest a plea?

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
August 23, 2016, 12:55
Geoff
Isn't a noun, not a verb, required to make sense? "Molestation" would be the right word, I think. Or does New Age Grammar disagree?

Furthermore, how is it that "molest" has begun to only be used as a nonspecific term for sexual impropriety? That wasn't the first definition in my old dictionary!

Geoff the language luddite Roll Eyes
August 23, 2016, 16:40
BobHale
Reading book.
Playing cards.
Cooking utensils.
Driving gloves.
Turning point.
Milking stool.
Walking dead.

That said, I agree that the headline is momentarily amusing.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
August 23, 2016, 20:25
Kalleh
quote:
Furthermore, how is it that "molest" has begun to only be used as a nonspecific term for sexual impropriety? That wasn't the first definition in my old dictionary!

I checked OED about how the definition of molest has changed over the years. It was first cited by Chaucer in 1425 to mean "To cause trouble, grief, or vexation to; to disturb, annoy, inconvenience." It wasn't until 1889, in the Jrn.l Anthropol. Inst., that it came to mean "to harrass, attack, or abuse sexually.
November 07, 2016, 03:35
Geoff
From the on-line NY Times: "The Philippine military is verifying a claim by Abu Sayyaf militants that they have kidnapped a German man from a yacht and shot and killed his female companion, whose suspected body was found in the abandoned boat ..."

"Suspected body?" Hmmmmmm... Confused
November 07, 2016, 20:40
Kalleh
It doesn't even make sense.
November 08, 2016, 06:16
Geoff
Is the boat abandoned if its occupants are either killed or kidnapped? As you said, Kalleh, the NYT should do better!
November 08, 2016, 20:08
Kalleh
I see your point about "abandoned," though in looking it up, it means having been deserted, and I suppose if the occupants are killed, it's deserted.

The word "desert" is interesting. "Desert" a baren land, is pronounced differently from "desert" (to abandon), while the latter is pronounced like "dessert.
November 08, 2016, 22:08
arnie
quote:
while the latter is pronounced like "dessert.

More like "dezzert" here in the UK.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
November 09, 2016, 11:07
<Proofreader>
dez-URT (the food; DEZ-urt (Barren land)