Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Another one of those "you know what it means, but..." headlines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another one of those "you know what it means, but..." headlines Login/Join

posted
Muncie man faces up to 50 years after molesting plea

Why would he molest a plea?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Why would he molest a plea?

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't a noun, not a verb, required to make sense? "Molestation" would be the right word, I think. Or does New Age Grammar disagree?

Furthermore, how is it that "molest" has begun to only be used as a nonspecific term for sexual impropriety? That wasn't the first definition in my old dictionary!

Geoff the language luddite Roll Eyes

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Reading book.
Playing cards.
Cooking utensils.
Driving gloves.
Turning point.
Milking stool.
Walking dead.

That said, I agree that the headline is momentarily amusing.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Furthermore, how is it that "molest" has begun to only be used as a nonspecific term for sexual impropriety? That wasn't the first definition in my old dictionary!

I checked OED about how the definition of molest has changed over the years. It was first cited by Chaucer in 1425 to mean "To cause trouble, grief, or vexation to; to disturb, annoy, inconvenience." It wasn't until 1889, in the Jrn.l Anthropol. Inst., that it came to mean "to harrass, attack, or abuse sexually.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the on-line NY Times: "The Philippine military is verifying a claim by Abu Sayyaf militants that they have kidnapped a German man from a yacht and shot and killed his female companion, whose suspected body was found in the abandoned boat ..."

"Suspected body?" Hmmmmmm... Confused

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It doesn't even make sense.

posted Hide Post
Is the boat abandoned if its occupants are either killed or kidnapped? As you said, Kalleh, the NYT should do better!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I see your point about "abandoned," though in looking it up, it means having been deserted, and I suppose if the occupants are killed, it's deserted.

The word "desert" is interesting. "Desert" a baren land, is pronounced differently from "desert" (to abandon), while the latter is pronounced like "dessert.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
while the latter is pronounced like "dessert.

More like "dezzert" here in the UK.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
dez-URT (the food; DEZ-urt (Barren land)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post