Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Narrative Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Our good friend at the Global Language Monitor, Paul JJ Payack, is in the news again. Clarence Page reports that "the narrative" has beat out "climate change," "Obama Muslim," "lower taxes" and even "tea partiers" as the number 1 political buzzword. Link Page quotes a few uses of the word. For example, one Washington Post reporter led a feature with "Sing to me of the Obama narrative, Muse." Or Steve and Cokie Roberts observed, "For a growing number of Americans, President Obama's narrative no longer defines who he is."

Page thinks this political use of the word has something to do with the "...growing sophistication of the political spin industry ..."

Is this word used in the English or Canadian political scene as well? Besides politics, I am seeing it used in nursing and medicine .

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this word used in the English or Canadian political scene as well?

Not in Britain. Although I appreciate that most Web pages in English originate in the USA, Payack's "Global Language Monitor" appears to be a misnomer.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I heard it only yesterday, used by the woman (whose name I can't remember) being interviewed about the Baby P case. The phrase "construct a narrative" is one I have heard quite a lot recently.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post