Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Books on writing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books on writing Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I write a lot for my job and am looking for a good book to help with how to present reports of our work and our recommendations more clearly and succinctly.

Can anyone recommend a good book? I saw one at Borders tonight, named "On Writing Well" by William Zinsser that looked good to me. Has anyone read it? I am not looking for a bunch of grammar rules! Thanks!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalleh,

An excellent one is If You Can Talk, You Can Write by Joel Saltzman. Referred to me by a friend who is in PR for Univ. of Ga.
A great book!

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Had I known before he left I'd have asked my friend Tim Albert to call you. He's in Chicago right now and he runs writing courses for doctors!

A book I use all the time is Michael Temple's "Pocket Guide to Written English" which is a small book packed with useful tips. Sadly I think it's now out of print but you might be able to get a secondhand copy.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, KHC and Richard. I will look into both of them. One thing that struck me about Zinsser's book was that he said writing clearly all depends on your thinking clearly. That really makes sense. I used to think that some people just have trouble writing, but it actually may be more complicated than that.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I write a lot for my job and am looking for a good book to help with how to present reports of our work and our recommendations more clearly and succinctly.

Can anyone recommend a good book? I saw one at Borders tonight, named "On Writing Well" by William Zinsser that looked good to me. Has anyone read it? I am not looking for a bunch of grammar rules! Thanks!

How about Fight the FOG? Well do I remember learning about the FOG Index when I did my Technical Authorship course Smile!

Here is another one.

This has several links which might be useful.

Style Guide

Just in case you ever need it - How to Write Research Proposals may come in useful.

You could adapt these tips on how to write a Philosophy Paper.