Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Poetry: middle verses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poetry: middle verses Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
    The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings."
wikipedia says, "In The Annotated Alice, Martin Gardner noted that The Walrus and the Carpenter is one of the few poems in the whole of English literature to be remembered for its middle verse rather than its first."

Interesting. I can't think of any others. Any ideas?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I wonder whether it's because the title characters don't appear until some way into the verse? And how well would it be known were it to be called "The sun was shining brightly" - which, if memory serves me, is the first line.

I can't think of any poems offhand but there are surely many songs that are known, often exclusively, by their choruses. For example: "There's a garden, what a garden
Only happy faces bloom there" which verse is rarely sung. But the chorus must be known by everyone.

You can hear the song and read the lyrics here http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/barrel.htm - apologies for the cheesey rendition of the music!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I realise that the site linked by Richard is aimed at kids, but did they have to be quite so heavy-handed?
quote:
Important Note: Some beverages like cider and root beer used to be kept in barrels. But that also applies to some alcoholic beverages, like beer and rum, which explains why this song is also called the "Beer Barrel Polka". So remember that although this is a fun song to sing, excessive alcohol consumption is not good for your health and could lead to serious problems and addictions. In fact, addictions of all types can be very serious health concerns.
There then follows a series of links to various no doubt worthy sites involved in anti-addiction work (including ones for tobacco, marijuana, and other drugs, not just beer).

It's also worth mentioning that to a child outside the US, cider is an alcoholic drink made with apples, as strong as, or often stronger than, beer.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I agree, Arnie - ick.

As to the song question, I would say that a lot of songs are known best by their choruses, but in the Walrus poem this verse isn't really a chorus, is it?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
There then follows a series of links to various no doubt worthy sites involved in anti-addiction work (including ones for tobacco, marijuana, and other drugs, not just beer).

I should have apologised for the "Nanny site" as well as the cheesy music!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller: a lot of songs are known best by their choruses
Every USn knows Take me out to the Ball Game (audio files at bottom), but I was very surprised to learn it's only a chorus. Bet very few people know that.
    Take me out to the ball game,
    Take me out with the crowd.
    Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
    I don't care if I never get back,
    Let me root, root, root for the home team,
    If they don't win it's a shame.
    For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
    At the old ball game.
But you're correct, CW: we digress.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Cheese and beer go well together, even if nanny might not approve (of the latter, anyway).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Take me Out to the Ball Game

I'd've thought that many popular songs are known better by their choruses than their opening stanzas.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I realise that the site linked by Richard is aimed at kids, but did they have to be quite so heavy-handed?
I suppose it's because it's from the National Institute of Environmental Health Services, and they've links all over to the National Insititute of Health. Still! This disclaimer is also tiresome:
quote:
When you encounter this image or the words "Non-NIEHS Link", it means that by following that link you will be leaving the NIEHS website. NIEHS is NOT responsible for non-NIEHS websites. Sites maintained by outside organizations may be changed without notice to NIEHS. Therefore, unless the link is to another U.S. government sponsored webpage, endorsement by NIEHS is not implied, and NIEHS does not guarantee their continuing safe content or privacy policies. So please ask your parent or guardian before continuing to any non-NIEHS website, and especially before providing any information via the internet or by e-mail. When last reviewed, the websites linked from the NIEHS Kids' Pages seemed suitable for you to visit, but that may have changed; if you have any difficulties or concerns with any linked materials, please let us know.
I feel like letting them know that they're going overboard.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post