Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Approximately/About
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Approximately/About Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am in the throes of submitting some book chapters that are due by the end of the week, and this struck me: I was reporting that in the U.S. about 7,000 people die every year from medication errors. I found this statistic on the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Web site, and when I cited it in my paper, I automatically changed it to "approximately." Then I thought of our discussions here about keeping it simple. I believe I have been brainwashed by academe!

But more importantly, is there a difference between "about" and "approximately?" I think not, but I thought I'd ask experts.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, there are many ways "about" can be used in which "approximately" wouldn't do at all. "I went about my business".

But in those case in which either might do, I tend to use "about" when the exact number isn't known, and approximately when it is, but precision isn't needed.

There are about 10,000 bottles of wine in my cellar. (I haven't counted recently.)

The library, which keeps very good records, reported that it had added approximately 10,000 new titles during the last fiscal year.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I tend to use the two interchangeably, for variety, and often in the same sentence. For instance:

There are approximately 25,000 schools in England, of which about 20,000 teach children under eleven years of age.

I'll sometimes use around with the same meaning.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
There are about 10,000 bottles of wine in my cellar. (I haven't counted recently.)

After that many bottles of wine, I'm surprised you can count at all. There mya be minny maw thin yu thin thay r.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you've recently had a visit from Proofreader, in which case it sounds like you might come up a few bottles short Smile

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
had a visit from Proofreader, in which case it sounds like you might come up a few bottles shor
Ill hve you no am a teetottalater. jush a bed speleler.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there is a linguistic distinction. Val, is your distinction one that you just use, or is it something you've learned? It sounds good! Wink

posted Hide Post
There is a prescription, reported in Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, that approximately should be replaced by about or nearly or almost when it can be. MWDEU notes that approximately is usually used in technical or reference works, and in serious general prose, and it almost never used in casual or informal contexts. They don't see any reason to avoid approximately in the contexts it is used in.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am glad I used it in the right context!