Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    2 sics on the front page?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 sics on the front page? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
They must have gotten a new editor for the Chicago Tribune. I picked up the newspaper today and the first article I read was about local opposition to a mosque that is to be built. About a third of the way through, was this sentence:
quote:
Residents in Bayonne, N.J., rallied last month against plans for a Muslim community center there, bearing signs that read "Stop the Mosque" and "If the Mosque Comes, the Mayor Go's" (sic).
That one is pretty obvious, though my prescriptive husband said the sic should go within the quote in brackets.

But then I read an article about Trump bloviating about the owner of the Chicago Cubs (not a very bright political thing to do in Chicago, I might add). Here is the next sic:
quote:
"I hear the Rickets (sic) family, who owns the Cubs, are secretly spending $'s against me. They better be careful, they have a lot to hide."
This was a tweet. Did the author think it should be Rickets' family? Shu and I don't even get that one.

Isn't that odd to see 2 sics on the front page of the paper?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I googled it. They spell the family name with a double t.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I figured that out later. I guess they are both legitimate. It just seemed odd to see 2 sics on the front page. We don't often see them here in the U.S.

Ricketts has responded. He's a pretty nice guy and has done a lot for our Cubs.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post