Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this right? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Background: A mom who brought her 10-day (yes, 10-day!) old baby to a huge restaurant show in Chicago's McCormick Place was kicked out because of a "no children under 16 policy." The mom had known about the policy, but she thought the infant, whom she was breast feeding, would be okay. Of course, this was on the front page of the Tribune and has created a huge hullabaloo, particularly from lactation experts. There is a law in Illinois that women should be allowed to breast feed in places anywhere they are legally allowed to be. This woman wasn't legally allowed (for safety reasons) to be at the National Restaurant Association show with her baby so she was legally kicked out. My thought is, and the American Academy of Pediatrics agrees with me, that you shouldn't bring an newborn to a place where there are more than 62,000 people.

Anyway here's my question: Regarding that situation an attorney was quoted as saying, "In terms of legality, there's nothing unlawful about doing it (banning the baby). Obnoxious and lawful aren't the same."

Doesn't the attorney mean "obnoxious and unlawful are not the same?"

[I know; that was a long back story for such a short question.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, unless you're a GM lawyer.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Isn't "obnoxious and unlawful" the definition of attorney? Exception noted for at least one Chicago lawyer.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
You've given a lot of back story, but what does the speaker mean by obnoxious in this context? Is s/he trying to say that the woman is being obnoxious, the baby is obnoxious, or what?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Chicago's McCormick Place, and the National Restaurant Association, were obnoxious not to let the woman breast feed - at least that's the way I took it. The lawyer seemed on the side of the woman, though he acknowledged that what the restaurant association did was legal. I suppose it could have meant the opposite, though. Good point, arnie!
quote:
Exception noted for at least one Chicago lawyer
Can we make it two? My daughter is a lawyer, too. Wink On the other hand, they both can be obnoxious at times!

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Can we make it two? My daughter is a lawyer, too.

I can excuse your husband but allowing offspring to enter the profession is child abuse.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Awww - she's definitely a keeper! And a more honest and socially conscious person you've never met. Smile