Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilding attack Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Today Eric Zorn writes about a "wilding" attack on the subway. I suppose it's pretty easy to figure out (being wild), but have you heard it being used before? I sure hadn't. Besides being in the slang dictionary, it also is in Dicationary.com , so I guess it's somewhat common.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've heard of it but have never encountered it in the wild.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In the '70s (uncertain datewise), a jogger was attacked, raped and beaten almost to death in Central Park by what was described as a band of youths engaged in a "wilding". This was just a rampage against anyone available. Four or five young men were accused and convicted of the crime. They claimed innocence but were sentenced to severe juil time. Many years later, thanks to DNA and some good detective work, the actual perpetrator was caught and the accused were vindicated. But the term wilding continued to be used in NY papers. PBS has a documentary on the story available online.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of hits on wilding, including in your own back yard:http://www.bing.com/search?q=wilding+in+chicago&form=MSNH14&pq=wilding&sc=8-7&sp=4&qs=AS&sk=AS3

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post