Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Alternative spelling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative spelling Login/Join

posted
https://www.thestar.com/entert...-spelling-menon.html

I don't think they're "butchering the language" or "words have lost all meaning to them", but all these typos are bizarre. I think they're really disorganized.

posted Hide Post
"Melanoma" is one that crossed my mind when I first heard of her. Alas, it was her spouse who proved to be metastatic.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Why not make the entire Trump administration honorary members of Wordcraft? Then they can study the various threads and learn what hey weren't taught in school. Oe, as they would put it: Thin thay kan steady watt thay worn' taut in skule.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alas, that won't help. Melanoma T. Rump went to school in Croatia, where they teach proper English, and could teach Donald Dork if he would listen.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think you are right, goofy, that it's a matter of being disorganized - and, they just don't care. Remember, they don't worry a bit about being politically correct.

So, how is Canada taking this new president of ours?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Kellyanne Conway certainly doesn't need it. She's an out and out genius with words.Consider this exchange.

"Will Donald Trump release anything from the IRS proving he is under audit?"

"Why? Are you calling him a liar?"

"Well, we're taking his word for it."

"Are you calling him a liar? And we are taking Hilary Clinton's word that she was overheated and didn't have pneumonia, or that she's going to aspirational uplifting or that she's going to start talking to the press again. I mean seriously, we're running against a Clinton and we are going to challenge someone's veracity?"

How do you answer a question about one person's tax returns by reference to another person's pneumonia? It's sheer genius. I challenge you to find anyone who is as masterful at deflecting a question as she is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

So, how is Canada taking this new president of ours?

We are watching with morbid amazement.

<Proofreader>
posted
Trump's press conference reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Mr. Costanza used Festivus to air his grievances.

posted Hide Post
Is that why Trudeau came to see for himself?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Will Donald Trump release anything from the IRS proving he is under audit?"
And - it is all a ruse anyway. The IRS has said it makes no difference if there is an audit. It is totally ridiculous. Let's hope Wikileaks take care of this once and for all. I bet if that happens, suddenly the Trumpsters will have a different feeling toward computer hacking than they did throughout the campaign.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Ah...
but what of my point that Conway is a true genius with words?
Facts? Not so much, but words... magnificent.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't consider her a genius. She just changes the subject to get out of the uncomfortable situation and then lies. Little kids do that all the time. When my sister's mug was found, broken on the floor, she asked our little brother if he broke it (he was 5 at the time). "Why do you want to know?", my brother asked, taking the conversation in a whole other direction (not really, but you get my point). She is no different than a 5-year-old kid who tries to get out of trouble.

<Proofreader>
posted
Like a magician's misdirection.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I so like Andy Borowitz

posted Hide Post
I suspect he hasn't paid many taxes, Kalleh.

quote:
Donald J. Trump declared a $916 million loss on his 1995 income tax returns, a tax deduction so substantial it could have allowed him to legally avoid paying any federal income taxes for up to 18 years, records obtained by The New York Times show.

"Trust me," is what all con men say, and somehow many people do. Trump reminds me of "Lonesome" Rhodes in the 1957 movie, A Face in the Crowd.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think his tax returns would do him in. I am hoping the Senate will stand up to him.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
reminds me of "Lonesome" Rhodes in the 1957 movie, A Face in the Crowd.

I think of "Paper Moon."

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Well, if this is a poll on what one thinks of Trump as US prez, count me among those who were NYC denizens '73-'&92 [I'm a NJ'n since then]: we know the Donald as a sleazy slumlord & wannabe-celebrity: AMAZED that he conned the public into national poitical power...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If one dispassionately considers T. Rump's and Bernie Sanders' lightning rod issues of Jobs and trade deficits, they're quite similar, but the style is worlds apart. Either could have garnered the votes of the disaffected and uneducated, but only one of them was capable of the chicanery to pull off a takeover of a major political party.

My $.02 cents. Your views may differ.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The odd thing is, Bethree, I hardly know anyone who supports Donald. I've wondered where he got all those votes. I guess I should be a bit more diverse in the people I know.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I guess I should be a bit more diverse in the people I know.

Or a bit more suspicious of your voting system.

posted Hide Post
Let me give you a clue: Where I live there are several neighbors flying Confederate flags, and the church that served as the polling place was loaded with Trump campaign signs. Church/state separation? not here! There's a hog CAFO a mile from the church. Farmers hereabout grow corn and soy as hog food. "Conservative" means Jesus freak/environmental destroyer throughout the middle of this country.

It seems geography has something to do with it. Progressives are concentrated near large bodies of water, the gulf coast being the one exception.

posted Hide Post
We have a Canadian politician who is a fan of Trump and seems to hate immigrants just as much. She made a hilarious video a few days ago.
http://www.macleans.ca/politic...itchs-bizarro-video/

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems geography has something to do with it. Progressives are concentrated near large bodies of water, the gulf coast being the one exception.

Not sure it's geography. I met a lot of anti-Trumpsters in Florida and Arizona while I was there. I am not sure what it is.

While in Arizona, my liberal son-in-law played golf with my nephew, who did vote for the Trumpster. They had only met on FB, where nephew was a pain and one of the reasons I left. However, my son-in-law said that by playing golf with him, he understood him more. Perhaps we should all do more of that. I am trying to read and understand both sides, but it sure isn't easy.