Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Newpaper articles of interest - Part II
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newpaper articles of interest - Part II Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I think most of us have heard of the Ig Nobel prizes and am sure we all know about the Nobel Prizes. Andre Geim has won both prizes, in 2000 (Ig Nobel) and 2010 (Nobel).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We talked about the use of the word "treason" on the chat today. Here's the editorial in the Chicago Tribune that drives me nuts. Yes, the Democratic nominee shouldn't have used the phrase "economic treason," but does this really reach the level of an editorial? If the Tribune were to write an editorial on every dumb remark made by a politician, well, the entire paper would be editorials.

Related to this gaffe, I think one can use the word "treason" in a less strict way than the U.S. Constitution does!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Dictionary.com shows the third definition of "treason" as
quote:
the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery.
Still pretty strong, but not quite as bad as defined in your constitution. I think that most people, when seeking a definition, would look in a modern dictionary, not something written three hundred years ago.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
By the way, who knows what "Subaru" means?

Since no one, including me, seems to have known the answer, I looked it up.

Subaru logo

Wikipedia - Subaru
quote:
Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster, which in turn inspires the Subaru logo and alludes to the five companies that merged to create FHI.[2]

The [2] above refers to the Subaru website
quote:
FHI was created by the merger of six companies, so you can see what a truly evocative name Subaru is.

I think that "six" is an error.

Subaru Logo - Design and History:
quote:
The company is influenced by the star cluster Pleiades. In Japanese the cluster name is "Subaru", which roughly translated into English means, "to govern", "unite," or "gather together". The large star in the logo represents Fuji Heavy Industries, and the five smaller stars represent the current five companies that are united under the FHI group. In essense the logo represent the unification of 5 companies mentioned above to become one large entity called the Fuji Heavy Industry.

Subaru 4WD Club of Queensland, Australia: What's In A Name?:
quote:
Fuji Heavy industries, the maker of SUBARU cars, was known as Nakajima Aircraft before WW II, which made many fighters and bombers. Even the famous Mitsubishi Zero fighter had a Nakajima 14 cylinder engine. After the war, the company was forced to spread into 15 companies to cut the strength of the huge weapon industry. But in the early 1950s, five of the companies gathered into one again to restart as a transportation company. That's FUJI and that's why there are five little stars and one big star.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I called Kristin Davis a hooker

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Now that's what I call an apology!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
By the way, who knows what "Subaru" means?

Since no one, including me, seems to have known the answer, I looked it up.

I still didn't see the simple answer: "Subaru" in Japanese is "Pleiades" in English. a constellation of stars, a constellation of companies.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that's what I call an apology!
So funny! Big Grin

Those of you outside the U.S. are beginning to see what we're experiencing in the upcoming election. Oy vey!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"I could care less" turns 50. Interestingly, the variant isn't used over here in the UK.

http://www.boston.com/bostongl...4/i_could_care_less/

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the variant isn't used over here in the UK.

Not into irony, I guess.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not into irony, I guess.

Isn't it ironic?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Collins English Dictionary is apparently introducing a slew of "new" words to its latest edition. See the BBC report.

Although I've seen a couple of the words mentioned used by journalists once or twice, so far as I'm aware they are nonce-words that will disappear a quickly as they've arrived. About the only one that has caught the public's fancy is "simples", and I have my doubts about the staying power of that, too.

<Proofreader>
posted
Looks like just the UK is stuck with those "words".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
More Sapir-Whorfism: 5 Insane Ways Words Can Control Your Mind.

Hat-tip: Fully (sic).

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice article, arnie, along with the response. I know we've discussed this here before. I think linguists are too quick to take a side with this question. Some real outcome research needs to be done. Not being a linguist, I am not sure how they'd design the study, but I am convinced they could. Instead, they seem to discuss the issue. I know there are some heavy weights doing the discussion (such as Language Log's analysis on Fully Sic), but let's do the research.

Less intellectual and not word related, but I thought this lawsuit of the day was totally ridiculous: Link

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting article about the etymology of "cool" as it is used today: Link
quote:
The Times Literary Supplement, the erudite British weekly, isn't the first place you would expect to find an outbreak of cool. But for a recent stretch of a few months, its letters page was home to a protracted debate over exactly how cool got cool.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
An interesting article about Google's Ngram Viewer is at MercuryNews.com.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, very interesting. And I learned a new word: culturomics - the application of massive amounts of data analysis to the study of human culture.

posted Hide Post
From the article arnie cited:

quote:
About 8,500 new words enter the English language annually, which fueled a 70 percent growth of the lexicon between 1950 and 2000.

Another article I read translated that increase into figures:

quote:
In one part of its analysis, the culturomics team estimates that about 8,500 new words annually entered the English language between 1950 and 2000. That process fueled a 70 percent growth in the number of English words, from 597,000 to 1,022,000.

If the trend has held true, then we've added 85,000 more words since 2000, and if it continues some time in 2020 we'll have doubled the lexicon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
However, a lot of those words are techy (tweet, google, etc.) and will fall out of use fairly soon.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's a fun article about what's right in America, and what is wrong. They started out with what is wrong, and I loved this analysis:
quote:
I am convinced that when historians look back in 500 years on the downfall of American civilization, they will trace it to heated toilet seats in Vegas. Reality television and bacon martinis may also be on the list, along with competitive kindergarten.

posted Hide Post
I ran across this article from August 1, 2009.

"%&#$!" makes you feel better "%&#$!" makes you feel better
quote:
“Swear words are unique,” says Timothy Jay, a psychologist at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in North Adams, who has studied the role of naughty words in linguistics. “They’re really the link between the language system and the emotional system.”

Timothy Jay is also the author of Cursing in America: A Psycholinguistic Study of Dirty Language in the Courts, in the Movies, in the Schoolyards and on the Streets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
From 1993 ... I hereby refute this almost unique grammatical error.

(Hat-tip: English Language @ SFX.)

posted Hide Post
Ah, the late Miles Kington. I used to enjoy his quirky little pieces in the Independent - how he managed to come out with them five days a week I'll never know! (He lived not too far from here, as well - I occasionally saw him around town.)

I would take issue with the claim that "law and order" requires a plural verb, though. It's not a regular example of two nouns joined by a conjunction, but a set phrase with a specific meaning. To write "law and order break down" suggests an analysis as "law breaks down and order breaks down", which I don't think is quite the intended meaning.

To draw an analogy: you'd say "gin and tonic is extremely refreshing", not "... are ...", wouldn't you?

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
To draw an analogy: you'd say "gin and tonic is extremely refreshing", not "... are ...", wouldn't you?

This is an example of making grammar too simple. You take something like subject-verb concord and elevate one rule while squashing all exceptions into the ground under a twisting foot of some chain smoker. And this sort of thing has nothing to do with something so new-fangled as the Internet. In Classical Greek, neuter plural subjects often take a verb in the singular. Go figure. In the Greek's case, it was probably the invention of writing that led to this sorry state of grammatical affairs. At least subject-verb concord is a feature of grammar, whereas most usage fiats, though masquerading as grammar, are really based on something else: e.g., rhetoric, style, logic, etc.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Odd that you set grammar and logic in opposition - but it does seem to be the case at times.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Odd that you set grammar and logic in oposition - but it does seem to be the case at times.

Why odd? Logic, grammar, and rhetoric were all separate subjects of study from classical times down to the present. Logic is about argumentation using rules of inference and deduction. Rhetoric is about convincing people of your argument using non-logical and non-grammatical means (sometimes). Grammar is about how to analyse the various parts of language (morphology) and how to put them together (syntax) according to convention (i.e., arbitrary rules). When people argue that some bit of grammar is not logical or what have you I assume they don't know their grammar from a hole in the ground.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
When people argue that some bit of grammar is not logical or what have you I assume they don't know their grammar from a hole in the ground.

Quite so in my case, since I've forgotten most of what I thought I knew. While I do see your point re grammar, rhetoric, and logic, do you argue that it is unreasonable to expect the three to be in accord? Politicians and, as you mentioned, academicians often intentionally separate them, but it seems disinengenuous to do so.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
While I do see your point re grammar, rhetoric, and logic, do you argue that it is unreasonable to expect the three to be in accord?

I'm not sure what "in accord" might mean in this case. There's nothing particularly logical about how a language might divide the world up, and having done so, how the bits fit together. Some languages decline nouns and adjectives, and conjugate verbs, but others do nothing of the sort. Is one way "better", more "correct", or more "logical" than the other? It's a serious question. Chinese has almost no morphology at all. A word can be a noun or a verb with no change in form. (English is closer to Chinese than Latin in this regard.) What is inherently logical about dividing qualifiers into three degrees of comparison: i.e., the positive (good), the comparative (better), and the superlative (best)? Why not two or fifteen?

Politicians and, as you mentioned, academicians often intentionally separate them, but it seems disinengenuous to do so.

It's not just the two groups you've mentioned. Everybody obfuscates when it's to their advantage. Occasionally politicians and academics can communicate as well as the rest of the herd. It just depends on what they're up to.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
How Language Shapes Thought

This article is in the February 2011 edition of Scientific American and is definitely worth reading. The link above only shows you the first 2 paragraphs. You have to buy the issue for $5.99 to read the rest of the article. Or you can read it free at your local library. That's what I did.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
This link has the full article.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I'd read about the article in the blogosphere before, but not seen the whole thing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
There's nothing particularly logical about how a language might divide the world up, and having done so, how the bits fit together.

Another example: "I didn't see nothing" means "I saw nothing", not "I saw something" - which is what we might expect if language was logical. In many languages, double negatives don't cancel each other out.

posted Hide Post
Liberman discusses Boroditsky.

The Economist hosted a debate between Liberman and Boroditsky.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Mind vs. Machine. A really interesting article from a man trying to prove he's human.

(Hat-tip: Language Log.)

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Guardian has a review of what looks like an interesting book: The Language Wars, by Henry Hitchings.

EDIT: Two other reviews - The Independent and The Observer.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, arnie. I may read it. Has anyone here read it?

I found two things interesting in that first link. First of all, "nice" means "subtle?" We've probably discussed that before, but I don't remember it.

Second, apparently in England you say "Hell in a handcart." In the US we say, "Hell in a handbasket."

posted Hide Post
Bilingual babies cue in to languages
Two languages better than one for infant perception

quote:
Infants raised bilingual from birth can distinguish not only between their two native tongues but between two languages they’ve never been exposed to, just by watching adults speak without hearing what they say, said psychologist Janet Werker of the University of British Columbia.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sounds odd to me...

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Blog early, blog often: the secret to making boys write properly.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Two things struck me. First, does England focus more on boy education than on girl education? Second, is "pupil" routinely used when speaking of students? It would seem outdated here...along with "when school commences..."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hated to start a thread with this article because it really isn't word or language related...but how funny! Read about the Illinois's roadkill bill: Link
quote:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. The Illinois General Assembly has passed a bill that would allow citizens to collect the carcasses of fur-bearing mammals found along public roadways, reducing the shameful waste of perfectly good roadkill while saving precious taxpayer dollars.

posted Hide Post
Yes, but only during season with the proper permits.

quote:
If Gov. Pat Quinn signs the measure into law, Illinoisans will be free to retrieve dead beaver, mink, weasel, fox, raccoon, muskrat, badger and opossum — during the legal hunting or trapping season, with the required stamps and permits.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
True, but what in the world would be the purpose? With our extreme budgetary issues, that is what they focus on? Roll Eyes

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
This was written over 10 years ago, but is still apt: A cycle of Pedantry.

[Hat-tip: Plain Text.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Loved the cycle of Pedantry! Big Grin It clearly takes them hours to debate something!

Here is an article about "Poetry" magazine that I thought was good. Who'd have thought how controversial a poetry magazine could be: Link

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There was an article in the Chicago Tribune yesterday about dying languages. While I couldn't find it online, I found the article here. It apparently was originally published in June.

I know we've talked about dying languages before, but I found it interesting.
quote:
Some linguists say that languages are disappearing at the rate of two a month. Half of the world's remaining 7,000 or so languages may be gone by the end of this century, pushed into disuse by English, Spanish and other dominating languages.
There was also this accompanying article.
quote:
Technology, long considered a threat to regional languages, now is being seen as a way to keep young people from forsaking their native tongues for dominant languages. YouTube and Facebook, as well as Internet radio and cell phone texting, are helping minority language groups stave off death.

Linguist Samuel Herrera said he was elated to find teenagers zapping each other with text messages in Huave, an endangered language spoken only by about 15,000 people in the Tehuantepec region of Mexico, along the Pacific.

"This really strengthens the use of the language," said Herrera, who runs the linguistics laboratory at the Institute of Anthropological Research in the Mexican capital.

Dr. Gregory D.S. Anderson, the director of the Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages in Salem, Ore., agrees. Somewhere between the ages of 6 and 20 or 25, he said, "people make a definitive decision whether to break with the language."

"If the language isn't being used by their peer group, then they reject it categorically," he said.

Technology as simple as text messaging can draw them back.
To our prescriptivists: Texting may not be so bad for the language, after all!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Twitterology

This article in the NY Times about Twitterology is interesting. Apparently it is being used more and more by social psychologists and linguists to analyze language. For example:
quote:
At the University of Texas, for example, a group of linguists and social psychologists has been monitoring Twitter to track on-the-ground sentiment over the course of the Arab Spring, particularly in Egypt and Libya. After the death of Colonel Qaddafi, the linguist David Beaver and his assistants quickly summoned thousands of Arabic-language tweets before and after the event. They zeroed in on messages known to be from Libya by using Twitter’s system of geocoding. (Posts from cellphones, for instance, very often encode the user’s geographic coordinates.) The tweets were then automatically translated from Arabic to English and fed into a text-analysis computer program.

<Proofreader>
posted
PLANE CRASH LANDS IN POLAND

Headline on a story in the Huffington Post. Can anyone spot the ambiguity?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
PLANE CRASH LANDS IN POLAND

Who's that, Ossy Osbourne? Wink