Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Newpaper articles of interest - Part II
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newpaper articles of interest - Part II Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
PLANE CRASH LANDS IN POLAND

Headline on a story in the Huffington Post. Can anyone spot the ambiguity?

Is it the crash landing of a plane vs the landing of a plane crash? But the second one doesn't even make sense. This isn't detrimental ambiguity.

posted Hide Post
Did the plane crash? Granted, it landed without the aid of its undercarriage, but it made a perfect landing, much like the one that landed in the Hudson River back in 2009. "Crash" in this case is hyperbole. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0M9NZ5yNA

As for the ambiguity, it suggests that the crash happened elsewhere, then found its way to Poland.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:

As for the ambiguity, it suggests that the crash happened elsewhere, then found its way to Poland.

But that makes no sense! How is this a problematic ambiguity?

posted Hide Post
Consider "plane crash" as the subject and "lands in Poland" as the predicate. It's as if a plane crashed, then made a successful landing elsewhere.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
I think it should have been "CRASHLANDS".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's usually spelled crash-land. But my point is an interpretation about the landing of a plane crash is silly. The only reasonable interpretation of the headline is the intended one.

<Proofreader>
posted
[quote]The only reasonable interpretation of the headline is the intended one.[/quote
Obviously not, or I wouldn't have made the post in question.

posted Hide Post
Or you and I are silly! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:
The only reasonable interpretation of the headline is the intended one.

Obviously not, or I wouldn't have made the post in question.

So someone might read it and think "Hm... this is about the landing of the wreckage of a plane crash. I wonder how that happened." Not because they're deliberately misinterpreting the headline, but because that's how they are sincerely reading it?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Not because they're deliberately misinterpreting the headline, but because that's how they are sincerely reading it?

I think they're yanking your chain. OTOH, they may seriously be wired like that. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Just a poor example of sheadline writing. Some editor should have caught the missing hyphen (which I also forgot to put in, and made it more sensible. And there are certainly some who would have read it wrongly. (If my brother-in-law rads this, I don't mean you.)

posted Hide Post
That was in fact my first take on the headline.
I must be wired improperly as far as "normal" folks consider it. This is why I feel I do not belong here. Even when I'm trying to be serious I come across as absurd.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I make the--mistaken or so it seems--assumption that the headline writer is trying to communicate some information to me. That's my I agree with Goofy that in my world of logic and physics only one parsing seems probable. People who deliberately misinterpret sentences or utterances are like a teenager answering a question of "what are you doing?" with "listening to you". Oh, well. It's probably just the way I'm wired. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And I - as everyone knows - tend to be a literalist. I have all my life. I am wired differently. No, goofy, I wouldn't be "deliberately" misreading the headline. I'd be flummoxed, at least for a bit...just like I was when the Chinese lady told me she had to pour tea on her knees for a Chinese custom. In no way was I kidding when I said, "Wouldn't that burn you?"

Sorry. It's just I. In other ways I am smarter. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darwin’s Tongues: Languages, like genes, can tell evolutionary tales
By Bruce Bower
Science News, November 19th, 2011; Vol.180 #11 (p. 22)

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
Darwin’s Tongues: Languages, like genes, can tell evolutionary tales
By Bruce Bower
Science News, November 19th, 2011; Vol.180 #11 (p. 22)

quote:
Traditional language studies are still vital, he says, because they provide the massive amounts of speech and grammatical information needed for statistical breakdowns.

I'm glad linguists are still good for something.

Language Log has a few posts about these studies.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that Science would not publish Mark's letter. It was quite analytical and should have stimulated some good debate. Isn't that what scholarliness is all about. It made me lose faith in Science. I wonder what their reason was.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I am just loving this word I read in a piece in today's NYT:

quote:
Republican voters forgive him as they stand at the 2012 salad bar, famished for a protein... they settle for legumes. Gingrich is their bloviating garbanzo bean. Onto the romaine he goes

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, that is a great citation...and the whole paragraph deserves citing:
quote:
Maybe his flamboyant knowledge-flaunting and ceaseless crowing are indeed liabilities, but ones that Republican voters forgive him as they stand at the 2012 salad bar, famished for a protein other than Mitt Romney and forced to choose from what’s there. The baby shrimp absent, the chicken strips missing, they settle for legumes. Gingrich is their bloviating garbanzo bean. Onto the romaine he goes.
I've always loved bloviating anyway, much like balderdash.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Onto the romaine he goes

That sentence had me confuzzled until I looked up romaine and found out that it is what we in the UK call a cos lettuce. Similarly, what you in the US call a garbanzo bean we call a chickpea.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
... what you in the US call a garbanzo bean we call a chickpea.

It used to be a chickpea here too, but then the yuppies happened. In Oregon, farmers raise filberts and sell hazlenuts. Same situation.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But we don't have cos lettuce, do we?

posted Hide Post
I'm familiar with romaine lettuce, but I only know cos lettuce because it's commonly used in crossword puzzles. I didn't realize they were the same thing until arnie pointed it out. It originated on the Greek isle of Kos; hence its name. Wikipedia says romaine/cos may be used as a bitter herb in the Passover Seder.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
farmers raise filberts and sell hazlenuts. Same situation.
Filberts are apparently a species of hazel nut. Therefore all filberts are hazel nuts, but not all hazel nuts are filberts. Common Hazel nuts are also called cob nuts here, although I can't say that I've seen them for sale under that name for several years, so the use may be dying out.

Wikipedia also says
quote:
In Oregon, "filbert" is used for commercial hazelnuts in general. Use in this manner has faded partly due to the efforts of Oregon's hazelnut growers to brand their product to better appeal to global markets and avoid confusion.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It used to be a chickpea here too, but then the yuppies happened.

I seem to remember chickpeas (known to me only as the "translation", impossible though it may be, of Cicero's name) being called garbonzos at least in the early '70s of the previous century. At home, I always called them (facetiously) ceci or channa.

Didn't all the yuppies become investment bankers as they clawed their way into the 1%? Many normative grammarians like to blame language change on a particular part of the demographic: gender, orientation, class, etc.

cos lettuce

The funny thing about cos lettuce is that it was not called Koan lettuce; koan being the "proper" adjectival form of the toponym Kos.

[Fixed typo.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:

Wikipedia also says
quote:
In Oregon, "filbert" is used for commercial hazelnuts in general. Use in this manner has faded partly due to the efforts of Oregon's hazelnut growers to brand their product to better appeal to global markets and avoid confusion.

This is really weird! That is verbatim the response I got from the Oregon Department of Agriculture when I emailed them about five years ago asking why the name, "filbert" was no longer in use. A little Wiki-plaigirism?

Z, it does seem that the upwardly mobile types, be they known by whatever name, are inclined to display a pretentious affect, so I suspect (probably incorrectly) that word snobbishness has played a part in "pee-cans" becoming "p'cahns," chickpeas becoming garbonzos, and filberts becoming hazlenuts in Oregon.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
that word snobbishness has played a part in "pee-cans" becoming "p'cahns," chickpeas becoming garbonzos, and filberts becoming hazlenuts in Oregon.

You're welcome to your suppositions, but I have been calling them p'cahns since I figured out what they were. You think it's some kind of sociolect, and I think it's a regionalism like calling a creek a crik.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Good work, Tinman!

Z, who's to say that both factors aren't involved?
Of course, one pronounces words the way one hears them in their social milieu, but that can be either ab origine or later on as one becomes aware of social norms. For example, pre-Starbucks, I'd never heard of a large cup of coffee called "venti." Yuppy pretense, IMHO!

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
who's to say that both factors aren't involved?

Sure, it's more than possible. I just don't think it applies in the hazelnut-filbert, p'cahn-peecan examples. And why would non-yuppies modify their speech, since the latter are so reviled?

one pronounces words the way one hears them in their social milieu

Yeah, well, nobody in my farming immigrant family could in anybody's wildest dreams be called upwardly mobile, professional, and urban.

For example, pre-Starbucks, I'd never heard of a large cup of coffee called "venti."

And I still call their cup sizes by the names I learned: small, medium, and large. They've had zero impact on me linguistically. Of course I hardly ever go into a Starbucks, because I don't like their coffee.

Yuppy pretense, IMHO!

Sounds like marketing foolishness to me. I don't even think that yuppies still exist. They're sorta like hippies and hobos: they belong to another time. In the yuppie case, the '80s.

Garbanzo for chickpea is even more doubtful. Why would yuppies emulate Hispanophones? Maybe French or German or some such.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:

I don't even think that yuppies still exist. They're sorta like hippies and hobos: they belong to another time. In the yuppie case, the '80s.

Huh??? Say, what year is this??? Confused

Now I'll go away and drink my coffee with milk and sugar that they call caffe latte datte loopety doody. Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I still call their cup sizes by the names I learned: small, medium, and large. They've had zero impact on me linguistically. Of course I hardly ever go into a Starbucks, because I don't like their coffee.
Amen on all accounts.

BTW, my hazelnut bags say "filberts."

If "yuppie" is no longer used, what word do they use for them now? Surely the concept still exists, at least where I am.

posted Hide Post
When I first saw this post by Kalleh talking about small, medium, and large cup sizes ... oh, never mind.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Just color me proud to have never heard the term 'venti'. I suspect the dubber to be a windbag.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The local MacDonalds had soda sizes "medium", "large" and "extra large." My wife didn't think I was funny when I argued for a "small", insisting that that was what their "medium" cup was. And the manager couldn't quite grasp the concept of relative size either.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
According to this link, there's a whole bunch of cup sizes (sorry, tinman) at SBs. Venti is twenty in Italian and the cup size is 20 oz. I'm sure whoever thought up the new names didn't think people would make such a fuss, or (probably more accurately) hoped it would. "There ain't no sich thing as bad PR."

[Fixed typo and moved a phrase.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
There ain't no sich thing as bad PR."

Tell that to Jerry Sandusky

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post

Who? (OK, I looked him up.) Anyway, I didn't say who the PR was good for. But seriously, this is an old Hollywood adage. Sorta like Shmuel Gelbfish's quotes.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, the famous movie guy. Just read a piece in the magagzine, "Mental Floss" about PR stunts pulled by Marilyn Monroe, Pablo Picasso, and others. Fun rag! http://www.mentalfloss.com/

posted Hide Post
A tacky headline from the on-line version of the Gresham, Oregon Outlook: Buying a shake can help in fight against Parkinson's

posted Hide Post
I went to reply to my earlier post and inadvertently erased it. But here's my reply.
quote:
The filbert/hazel Geoff refers to is Corylus cornuta var. californica, commonly called beaked hazel, western beaked hazel, or just plain hazel around here (Washington).

That is the hazel that is native to WA and OR, but I realized it's not the one Geoff referred to. He was talking about commercial hazels, which would probably be cultivars of Corylus avellana.

This site says "nearly 100% of all the hazelnuts grown in the United States are grown in the Willamette Valley" (OR), but that only makes up about 3-4% of the world's production (elsewhere I've read 2%).

It also says
quote:
The term “hazel” comes from an old Anglo-Saxon word meaning “hood or bonnet”. The word “fil bert” comes from “full beard” and refers to the fringed husks which cover the nuts.

Can anybody verify that?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
His problem is much bigger than bad PR. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:

It also says
quote:
The term “hazel” comes from an old Anglo-Saxon word meaning “hood or bonnet”. The word “fil bert” comes from “full beard” and refers to the fringed husks which cover the nuts.

Can anybody verify that?

I read somewhere that it refers to some saint named Filbert. Ahh, here's a reference to that train of thought: http://thephantomwriters.com/f...of-the-filbert.shtml

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman, did you check the OED for the etymologies? For "hazel" I could not find "hood or bonnet" for the etymology. Here is what they said:
quote:
Forms: OE hæsel, hæsil, hæsl, æsil, ME hasle, asele, ME hesel, ME–15 hasil, ME–16 hasell(e, ME–17 hasel(e, ME hesil(l, hesyl(le, heselle, ME–15 hasill, 15 hasille, hasyll(e, heasle, (Sc. hissill), 15–16 hazell, 15–17 hasle, 16 hassel, hassle, 16– hazel, hazle, (mod.Sc. heazle, heezle).
Etymology: Old English hæsel = Middle Dutch hazel(are , Dutch hazel(aar , Low German hassel , Old High German hasal (masculine), hasala (feminine) (Middle High German, modern German hasel f.), Old Norse hasl (Swedish, Danish hassel ) < Old Germanic *hasalo-z < pre-Germanic *kósolos = Latin corulus , corylus , Old Irish coll ( < *cosl ). Old Norse had also hesli neuter ( < *hasili- ) whence apparently northern Middle English hesel , hesyl , mod. Scots heezle
For "filbert" here is what it says:
quote:
Forms: α. ME philliberd, 15–16 philbert, (16 philibert), (17 philberd, philbud). β. ME felbud, ME–15 fylbud, 15–18 filberd(e, (16 filburd, fillberd), 15–18 dial. filbeard(e, (15 fylbeard(e), 15 filberte, ( fylbert), 15–16 filbird(e, (15 fylbyrd). ME– filbert.
Etymology: probably short for filbert-nut (i.e. Philibert-nut ), dialect French noix de filbert (Moisy Dict. Patois Normand) from being ripe near St. Philibert's day, Aug. 22 (O.S.). Compare German Lamberts-nuss .
Again, I don't find "full beard" as an etymology.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post

The second etymology is obviously some folk etymology. One should get one's etymologies from a reputable dictionary, like the OED not some "nut" site.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Venti is twenty in Italian and the cup size is 20 oz. .]

I was feeling really stupid not to know this (automatically assumed it meant 'winds' as in Latin ventus/venti]-- turns out it means both.

Wondering why 20 should = winds, I've been trying to read this entry in an Ital. etym. dic'y... I think it might be saying that the number 'venti' is a contraction of an early word 'viginti'-- & maybe that the "vi" part comes from "dvi" (like "due", or two). Anybody know if I'm even close? At any rate, it seems the two words are homonyms.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bethree5,

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
At any rate, it seems the two words are homonyms.

Yes, Latin viginti 'twenty' > Italian venti and Latin ventus 'wind' > Italian vento. The bit about it starting with dv-, because it's based on the root for two, means Old Latin or Proto-Italic. You can see that in English two and twenty. So the two words became homonyms in Italian (plural of vento is venti), but they weren't in Latin.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The second etymology is obviously some folk etymology. One should get one's etymologies from a reputable dictionary, like the OED not some "nut" site.
I am not sure if this means the first etymology is right, but I couldn't find "hood" or "bonnet" in the OED for that one.

I imagine the "full beard" came from the filbeard form, and then people used their imagination from there.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if this means the first etymology is right

No, it's wrong, too, but it does not even have the false reasoning of folk etymology behind it. Pure fantasy or BS: you choose.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Latin ventus 'wind'

And then French ventre, belly, the source of wind when people make it? Roll Eyes

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
And then French ventre, belly, the source of wind when people make it?

French ventre < Latin venter, ventris, 'belly' is probably not related to ventus 'wind'. PIE did have at least two roots for 'fart'. (Some connect the venter with Latin uterus and others with Greek γαστηρ (gastēr) 'belly'; not many agree with them.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.